Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First:

What kind of break-in period is there?

Second:

What tranny fluid should I use?

Third:

Will I have to do anything to my crossmember to make the tremec mount correctly?

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not sure about break in period...

GM Synchromesh 12345xxx @ $9 qt, or Pennzoil Synchromesh @ $5 qt...

You'll have to grind the spot welds on the crosmembetr tubes and move the CM as far back as possible. Reweld once it's mocked up and in the right position...

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tremec recommends the GM syncromesh tranny fluid. I did not have to modify my trans cross member but the above post is correct on how to do it. Most people say to granny shift your new tranny for the first 1000mi. Wait for a bit to begin power shifting and get a shifter with positive stops before you begin to practice power shifting. You will like the new tranny.:evil:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Where can I get this GM syncromesh, and is it worth it?? I bought some redline oil for my tranny and it seems to be working fine. What advanteges does the syncomesh have over other oils?

·
Registered
428 Posts
uh, GM :D

Seriously, the GM parts counter, BUT Hi-Lo carries the Pennzoil version for half the price...

Not sure about the Redline use; what does the bottle read?

·
Registered
343 Posts
It is Redline D4 ATF Automatic/Manual transmission/transaxle synthetic oil....and I don't know if I want to pull into a GM dealer with my stang LOL!!! Not that i'm scared of anything they can dish out!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I bought the GM stuff.
Here is what the crossmember look like:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what my crossmember looks like now. Fits perfect. One question... There is the rubber donut (about 3-4" long) around the output shaft. Does that stay in and move forward when I install the DS, or do I pull that out? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts