Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am participating in a dyno tune session put on by the Late Model Mustang Club of Connecticut in which Jerry from Superchips Custom Tuning will tune my car. The new engine combo for this session will be:

Brand new Ford 302, forged Probe pistons+rods, cast crank
AFR 165s with valve spring upgrade
CompCam XE270HR cam
GT40 with a ported lower

So far besides a good tune and some HP, I would like some other bugs worked out:

-take out the 3 timing pulls: between shifts, above 92 mph, and when the engine is above 200 degrees. (is it 200??)
-tune out egr system
-tune out smog pump (do I even have to?)
-take out stock 6250rpm rev limiter
-lower electric fan turn on temp

Are there any more adjustments that you have made that you would suggest that I do? I would like to cover everything so I do not have to do a reflash.;)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
There is no shift retard. The EGR and Thermactor delete can be easily done. Don't remove the rev limiter, just raise it. Only lower the fan switches when you have a lower temp thermostat.

You can't do a flash on your EEC, you need a chip. Jerry will automatically do what is necessary for your car's best performance.

You will be happy with the results!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Only lower the fan switches when you have a lower temp thermostat
Still, wouldn't you want to start the fan ~10 degrees from the stat's threshold (198-205) instead of the default 220-224^ (hi) in the cpu?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read here that on our cars, when you push the clutch in, the computer pulls timing. I could be wrong.

I also did not know that you could raise the rev limiter. Thanks.

I was planning on going with a 180 degree t-stat. Can I get that at a pep boys or autozone for our year car?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Brian, it's not when you push the clutch in, it's when you first push the gas pedal down, like when letting off the gas and re-applying it between shifts. People mistakenly call it a "shift-retard", but it's actually a throttle "tip in" retard. If you powershift, it doesn't come into play, but if driving spiritedly through the gears, but letting off between every shift, the timing is retarded 4* for a split second, every time you re-apply the gas pedal...This was done by Ford to try and lower the warranty claims for broken T-5's back in the days when the cars were still new...People seem to think it's a "shift retard" because that's the only time you notice it...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rel3rd said:
Brian, it's not when you push the clutch in, it's when you first push the gas pedal down, like when letting off the gas and re-applying it between shifts. People mistakenly call it a "shift-retard", but it's actually a throttle "tip in" retard. If you powershift, it doesn't come into play, but if driving spiritedly through the gears, but letting off between every shift, the timing is retarded 4* for a split second, every time you re-apply the gas pedal...This was done by Ford to try and lower the warranty claims for broken T-5's back in the days when the cars were still new...People seem to think it's a "shift retard" because that's the only time you notice it...
Ahhh, excellent. Thank you for the clarification. So, if it does not have to do with the clutch, does this "tip in" come into play when you are just goosing the throttle, or is it tied to the TPS so it only happens at WOT?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Not tied into the clutch whatsoever...and not at WOT...just when you very first move the gas pedal from the "idle" position. When you "tip the throttle in"...:)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I do not understand this computer crap whatsoever. All the other stuff I pick up fine.

So, everyone, anything else to take out or add?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I know a lot of people do the EGR delete thing but I always have to wonder if there really is any benefit. There have been several threads that I have seen on this board that the EGR actually helps to reduce combustion temps which can also help to reduce pinging. You may want to do a search before you decide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts