Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wiring in my control pack, and wondering if I need to use the fuel pump circuit/relay on the Gen1 controller. I'm using an Aeromotive fuel pump, and have their relay and trigger wire.

If I don't use the fuel relay in the control pack will it cause a problem? Or does it make more sense to run everything through the controller?

Aeromotive has a bigger fuse than the controller - it makes me wonder about building the correct pressure.

TIA

Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
The only difference with running it off the control pack is the ecu will turn the pump on for a few seconds at key-on to prime the pump. It will then shut off until you crank the car and the ecu see’s an rpm signal. Once the car is running there is no difference.

With a separate relay setup on just a “key-on” trigger, the fuel pump will run constantly whenever the key is in run. If its a racecar this wont matter too much. If it’s a street car there are times you want to listen to the radio or mess with your hand held programmer ect. with the engine off. In these cases you will have to listen to the fuel pump run and put extra drain on the battery.

Now if you’re concerned about the load of the fuel pump being more than what the relay/fuse is setup for on the control pack, you can just use the positive fuel pump output from the control pack to trigger your stand alone fuel pump relay setup. This will take the load off the control pack relay/fuse but still allow the ecu to prime the fuel pump and turn off until the motor is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only difference with running it off the control pack is the ecu will turn the pump on for a few seconds at key-on to prime the pump. It will then shut off until you crank the car and the ecu see’s an rpm signal. Once the car is running there is no difference.

With a separate relay setup on just a “key-on” trigger, the fuel pump will run constantly whenever the key is in run. If its a racecar this wont matter too much. If it’s a street car there are times you want to listen to the radio or mess with your hand held programmer ect. with the engine off. In these cases you will have to listen to the fuel pump run and put extra drain on the battery.

Now if you’re concerned about the load of the fuel pump being more than what the relay/fuse is setup for on the control pack, you can just use the positive fuel pump output from the control pack to trigger your stand alone fuel pump relay setup. This will take the load off the control pack relay/fuse but still allow the ecu to prime the fuel pump and turn off until the motor is running.
Thank you GTO44!

If I use the positive fuel pump output from the control pack, to the Areomotive fuel pump harness - I'll have 2 relays in the circuit. I'm curious if it will work properly in that configuration? And the other part is I bought the damn fuel harness....it's too pretty to cut up.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts