Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 97 cobra. I have 26inch street slicks. it has an airbag in the rear. i have a 100hp shot if juice. Im being told by someone that i need to get rid of my 373's b/c ,my car will bog off the line? so with the dohc motor do you have to have more gear?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes, that's true. 3.73s are nowhere near enough for our cars. I recommend 4.30s for that 100 shot. If you want a 150 shot, just step up to a 28'' tire.

-Code

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well ive descided to keep my 373's. i dont want to run 3500k on the highway rolling 70mph. It ran a 7.4 with 26's in the 1/8th thanks anyway:)

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
I'll take you up on that offer, RunninRadar. I have sissy 4.56's, too. Our top end is actually higher than yours. 3.73's aren't enough to utilize 5th gear, so your top speed will probably come in 4th gear.

·
Registered
580 Posts
46callaway said:
NA 4.6 DOHC drag racing 101... 4.56 or 4.88 gears lol...
A couple years back I heard everyone saying 4.10s were the best modular gear. Then 4.10s became passe and 4.30s became the gear. Now it looks like 4.56s are turning into the gear of choice. I wonder if it will stop there, or keep going with 4.88s, 5.13s, 6.xxs... :eek:

At any rate, the best thing you can do RunninRadar is to play with the gear calculator Code posted up there earlier. Mess around with it for a couple days to get all your questions answered. Figure out what you want to do with the car and work backwards to the gear you will need. If you are using you car on the dragstrip, figure out what you want you eventual max trapspeed to be, then see what gear size will most closely put you at the top of 4th at that speed (don't forget you can adjust your tire size slightly - bump them up to a full 26 inches or even 28 inches for more speed).

I picked my 4.56s after I saw that they allowed me to still use 1st, to completely (well, almost) use 4 gears while racing, to cruise up past 70 without opening the IMRCs thus keeping the engine running fairly fuel efficient (recently got 23mpg on a ~200 mile trip), etc. There was no downside to my decision from my standpoint.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll take you up on that offer TOO RunninRadar .i to have 4.56'S
and i can still hit 140mph like it is nothing.that is about high as i have hade mine but it look like it was going to ceep going.4.56's pull way!!!harder than 3.73's ever will.now that is a fact!:eek:

·
Registered
580 Posts
RunninRadar said:
I dont think 140 mph can be achieved
If 140 mph can't be achieved, it's not because of the gears, it's a lack of power. With 4.10s or less, you are limited to whatever top speed you can reach in 4th. With 4.30+ gears you are limited to whatever you can reach in 5th before you are overcome by drag. Concidering that 140 can be reached at 5600 rpm in 5th with 4.56s, I don't think it is that hard to attain and surpass.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
You're a funny guy, Radar. :lol:

I've hit 140 a couple times with my 4.56's and it was still pulling.

·
Registered
291 Posts
and what speedo gears are used with each...4.10, 4.30, etc, and did they keep your speedo's accurate?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
You can use a 23 tooth yellow, I think, with 4.10's. It won't be exact, but close enough. But the teeth will eventually chip away and be inaccurate.
The best method to correct the speedo is a speedcal from Dallas Mustangs or Abbott ERA, which is what I have.
Another option for '98 and newer stangs is to have a chip programmed to correct the speedo for the gears.

·
Registered
892 Posts
RunninRadar were do you get your information from.because they do not know what they are talking about and whay do i say this well!!!

1.you think that if you have 4.56's you will be at 3,500rpm's on the highway at 70mph in 5th. well!! ( wrong) try like 2,800rpm's

2.you think that 3.73's whould pull harder that 4.56's from a roll
(wrong)4.56's pull way harder.and i dont mean to sound like a ? but i have a friend that have's the same mod's as me and can we say by bye i will leave him.plus to in the real world a real race not a just for fun race! start's from a dead stop!!you dont see the people at the track starting from a roll do you .and if you did please tell me because that whould be very funny.

3.you dont think 140 mph can be achieved that's funny!(wrong)
i have bein to 140mph so many time's.

4.and about the gear's i first had 4.10's and they were not enough.you know what it's funny that every person in this post feel's the same.because RunninRadar this is all true dont you see. there is a 200rpm deferent's between 4.10 and 4.30's and another 200rpm's with 4.56's so with 4.10's on the highway you would be at(2,400rpm's)with 4.30's you would be at(2,600rpms)and with 4.56's that i have now!!you would be at (2,800rpm's)

5.you posted this Q&A for some help well you wanted some help why wont you listen people like ( T-BONE)&(CODE001)&(Wylde Horses)and so on .RunninRadar you are asking people that are getting or have 4.56's if people think 4.56's are that bad why do they get them. and the people that have 4.56's why do they still have them.well i will tell you why they rock!!!

why dont you just ask ( BOB COSBY)LOOK HOW GOOD HE DOES .SORRY BOB FOR BRING YOU IN TO THIS. SORRY BOB.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your funny also lololololol 4.56's and 2800 at 70mph on the highway. OK i live south of dallas tx. bring your car and ill give you my title if yours run that many rpm's lol the car had 4.30's when the guy before me got the car. he said that was the first change. My other friend has 4.30's and his car runs like 3500 at 70mph. theres no way on earth. have a nice day please drive through:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts