Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~guys
i'm gettin 4.10's in stalled into my 2002GT(5spd)
Was wondering if you could tell me what i need to buy? in order to calibrate my speedo, and what not.
So that everything works accordingly??
Thank you very much

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a speed cal. from Dallas Mustang and the install was very easy. I set the switches and powered the unit up and haven't touched it yet. The speedometer is right on with the mile markers on the interstate. At work we ordered on from Holcomb Motorsports but it had straight wires that had to be spliced in. The one from Dallas Mustang has the same connectors as the ones on the trans. which made it a breeze to install. You only have to splice into a power wire for the unit and it mounts inside under the outer shifter boot.
I'm sure there are others out there that are just as nice like the ones from Brothers Performance and these stand alone units are around 110.00.
I have a 04 5-speed and I went with 3.73's. I'm glad I did since it is my primary car and I can't keep traction as it is. Below it the difference the gear change made to my car.
Screamn1
Before the change:
1st gear: 5000 rpm - 35 mph
2nd gear: 5000 rpm - 60 mph
3rd gear: 2500 rpm - 44 mph / 3000 rpm - 52 mph
4th gear: 2000 rpm - 46 mph / 2500 rpm - 58 mph
5th gear: 1500 rpm - 56 mph

After gear change:
1st gear: 5000 rpm - 28 mph
2nd gear: 5000 rpm - 50 mph
3rd gear: 2500 rpm - 38mph / 3000 rpm - 46 mph
4th gear: 2000 rpm - 41 mph / 2500 rpm - 51 mph
5th gear: 1500 rpm - 50 mph

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you're thinking about a custom chip in the future just wait on the gears and install them right before the chip. Also Hypertech makes that lillte power programmer for about $300 which loads your new gear ratio directly into the computer. I have the Brothers (which is made by Dallas Mustang) speed cal and like SCREAMN1 said the install was very easy. Took me about 1/2 hour. Just remember with the speed cal you're using your hot lead from your lighter to power it so if the lighter fuse blows, which mine has, you'll have no speedo.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it come with instructions?? I ask because i'm not very good with electrical but i'm sure i could figure it out

·
Registered
612 Posts
must98gt said:
Does it come with instructions?? I ask because i'm not very good with electrical but i'm sure i could figure it out
Troy- get the speedcal from Dallas Mustang like mentioned above. It works great and is not that hard to install. I installed it in under 30mins, it comes with some decent instructions. Oh, 2002GT, I am confused?? Is this for a buddy??

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I say you should go w/ a Dallas speedcal for now.....then get a custom chip when you are (at least close) to finished.

-Will

·
Registered
27 Posts
the hypertech sounds sweet. ive got a 98 that im puttin 4.10's in and need something to calibrate. i checked dallasmustang, and theyve got one for $100. is that just for an automatic?? Ive got a 5-speed and i want to make sure i get the right one. THanks!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
michigan98gt,
I don't think the hypertech does anything for '98 and below stangs. The Hypertech works on '99 and above I believe.

MHO,

Clayton

·
Registered
27 Posts
so all i would need is a speed cal from dallasmustang?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Madi98GT said:
Troy- get the speedcal from Dallas Mustang like mentioned above. It works great and is not that hard to install. I installed it in under 30mins, it comes with some decent instructions. Oh, 2002GT, I am confused?? Is this for a buddy??
Yeah, he was just using my corral. Sounds good, not for my 1998 though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts