Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought and drove cross country a 2000 GT. The city I bought it from had replaced the fuel pump but did not replace the torn filler neck gasket... which made for a lot of gas stops going from CA to OH...lol.

So I get home and drop the tank and find when they put it together they had also broken the filler neck at the end, so I replaced it with one from Rockauto. I reinstalled everything and now I can only put a small amount of gas in at the pump...and I mean a small amount. I have checked all the hoses and they are connected and not pinched. Has anyone run into a similar issue and found some off-the-wall problem? Has anyone ever received a bad filler neck?

Pic from the auction site...and boy did she clean up.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found my issue...the POS part from Rockauto. After dropping the tank and unhooking and rehooking everything up I tried to put gas in it again. When that did not work I decided to pull the new filler tube out and sure enough that was my problem. The gas would only fill the tube then slowly drain into the tank. So returning the POS filler tube and hoping I can find a NOS/OEM one.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well, I found my issue...the POS part from Rockauto. After dropping the tank and unhooking and rehooking everything up I tried to put gas in it again. When that did not work I decided to pull the new filler tube out and sure enough that was my problem. The gas would only fill the tube then slowly drain into the tank. So returning the POS filler tube and hoping I can find a NOS/OEM one.
I converted my car to an 03 cobra tank. I ended up going to a U-pull-and-pay yard and grabbed the filler neck, neck to body mount and hoses that go to the tank. I have no problems filling my tank completely full. If you have a UPnP try there. YOu can check their locations here Locations | Used Auto Parts Near You | U-Pull-&-Pay

Reactions: CNTLOSE92

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I converted my car to an 03 cobra tank. I ended up going to a U-pull-and-pay yard and grabbed the filler neck, neck to body mount and hoses that go to the tank. I have no problems filling my tank completely full. If you have a UPnP try there. YOu can check their locations here Locations | Used Auto Parts Near You | U-Pull-&-Pay
I do have one close to me, but the way they lift them is sketchy. (Put them on stacked rusty steel wheels.) Also, they are so far in the back of the yard that to drag my own jack and stands would be a PIA.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I do have one close to me, but the way they lift them is sketchy. (Put them on stacked rusty steel wheels.) Also, they are so far in the back of the yard that to drag my own jack and stands would be a PIA.
Mine is the same way but the wheels are welded to each other. Typically before i climb under anthing i get on the side of the car and push it hard to see if it will fall. Ive never had one fall. Mine doesnt even allow jacks or stands. Its worth a try to go get one.. I see the 99-04s in there fairly regularly in mine.

Reactions: CNTLOSE92

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is the same way but the wheels are welded to each other. Typically before i climb under anthing i get on the side of the car and push it hard to see if it will fall. Ive never had one fall. Mine doesnt even allow jacks or stands. Its worth a try to go get one.. I see the 99-04s in there fairly regularly in mine.
That's nice they do that. When you walk the yard here you can see several have fallen over. It is funny because sometimes they are like dominos...lol. But if all else fails, that may be the way to go. Thanks for the reply and the idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts