Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I decided to see what kind of MPG I could get with my setup. I wondered 'maybe if I don't floor it all the time, I could get decent mileage'.

Test conditions: All highway, windows down, no lights, no blower motor, radio cranked.

Result: 26.8mpg

Please be aware that with a heavy foot, I'm averaging 19mpg with a 50/50 mix of city/highway.

What do you all get?

Jeff

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got 365 all highway miles in my Cobra, 5 speed with 410's, going 75-80 the whole way...I was pretty happy needless to say...

·
Registered
170 Posts
this was about 85% highway and about 15% road only got on it a few times. I get about 280 miles befor the gas light comes on this is with the mods listed in sig below

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where do you guys get these #s from? I'm lucky to get 18mph mixed. 21-22 80-85% highway (75mph). My car is almost bone stock. I have never got above 22mph ever. On the street, my car almost never sees more than 3k. I only punch it 1-2 times per tank, using only 1st and 2nd gear. No 0-100mph+ style launches. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just drove the car from Pensacola, Fl to San Diego, Ca. Averaged 25 MPG at 75 to 85 mph with the AC on most of the way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Stock with 2:73's and a virgin engine I got 25mpg on a trip.With the blower, 3:73's, SVO heads, and 42's I get about 17.

Funny thing is I thought the 42's would drop the mileage. I have gotten the same mileage since the blower and gear upgrades with: 19, 24, 30, and now the 42# injectors. Just don't ask why I had so many sets on the car.

Marc

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
RA99GT said:
I reset my trip meter when I get gas. The next time I fill up, I divide the miles on the trip meter by how much gas I put in. Thus, miles/gallons = mpg. That's average combined city and freeway driving of course...
IMO, that is not an accurate way to compute mpg. Consider this, you can vary the point you shut off the pump as it relates to how full your tank is. That difference can be as much as 1 gallon. Now suppose you fill your tank, and it's on the high side. Then when you fill next time, you fill it on the low side. Also, unless you run your tank empty (definitly NOT recommended), you might have 1-2 gallons left in the tank. Your tank holds about 14 gallons. So when you check just one tankful, in my example, you could either be divinding your miles (let's say that was 200 miles) by either 11 gallons or 13 gallons.
200/11 = 18.18 mpg OR
200/13 = 15.38 mpg. That's a difference of 18%

I feel the most accurate way is over 3 or 4 tankfulls. Then the error rate becomes much smaller.

I took a trip to NJ and averaged 23.5mpg for the whole trip on stock gears (1793 miles / 76.304 gal)
Currently, I'm averaging 15 mpg, but that's mostly city driving with lots of redline blasts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Actually I think using the trip meter is the most accurate way to record gas mileage. This way you are only accounting for what you put in the car. If you dont fill up then it is not accurate, but if you do then it should be pretty close. Just dont top the car off. Fill it until the pump stops. Get reciept and go.

FWIW I average 23 mpg highway, 19 mixed, 16 all city.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the same exact pump for my test. Also, my test speed never exceeded 70mph.

Jeff

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am getting between 300-335 miles per tank over the past 3 months. before I had all my mods I was only getting between 255-285 miles per tank. has anyone got better gas mileage with mods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.