Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my smaller blower pulley on, I noticed my mpg seemed to be getting worse. I reasoned that now, I am getting into boost earlier and therefore upping fuel pressure quicker etc. But on the other hand the motor has 206,000 miles on it and maybe something else was going wrong??? Tested this today. 130 miles at aggressive, high speeds-even more than usual: 19 mpg. Return trip: 65 mph, no hard acceleration: 27.7 mpg! I guess the theory is true. With the old pulley, I would be getting 22 or so with hard highway driving and I could get maybe 27 going easy. Around town, it is hard to get over 20.
Erich

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm getting 10mpg city/ 14mpg highway. How about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well

I'm N/A with the only hp mod so far is a densecharger and I am getting 12-15 mpg around town. I'm pissed about that, the 15 mpg is with me not getting my foot on it at all. The 12 mpg is gasing it every once and a while. Haven't made a road trip yet.

The factory sticker on my car said 18 mpg around town. I don't see how that is possible. oh did I mention its a 5 speed. What the hell or is this normal.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Toppchef said:
I'm getting 10mpg city/ 14mpg highway. How about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Woah.... that is a bit low isn't it?? I thought I had the worst gas mileage here with around 15 city and 22 Highway.. ;)

But 10mpg.... Damn, that's almost as bad as a Hummer :D
You must have a very Rich Tune or something isn't right. I would imagine you should be getting close to what I am getting.....

I would have your tune checked....

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Even when my car was totally stock I never really got good gas mileage. about 16 city and around 24 highway.
Some of the mods I installed actually improved gas mileage and then others took it away... If I am into the throttle I am only getting about 12 mpg city and 20 Highway. But most of the time I can get 14 city and around 22mpg highway cruising around 75 mph...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sting, I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Do you really think that it's the tune because prior to getting the blower I got similar gas mileage w/ 93 octane. Whenever I used 87 octane I went back to fairly normal numbers. I don't know what to do.....:mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
dang i get around 20 mpg and thats gassing it everyonce in awhile. i drive mostly in town too .

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Toppchef said:
Sting, I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Do you really think that it's the tune because prior to getting the blower I got similar gas mileage w/ 93 octane. Whenever I used 87 octane I went back to fairly normal numbers. I don't know what to do.....:mad:
Your numbers as far as HP and Torque look pretty decent. How is your Air/Fuel mixture?? Is it around 11.5 to 12.0 Or is it richer than that?? Also what kind of timing are you running?
I didn't get my Supercharger for Gas Mileage but 10mpg is a bit low... I can see a minimum of around 12-14 in town and around 19-20 Highway. Anything less and something just isn't right.... Depending how much you get on it... I drive moderately and my mileage hasn't really changed too much after the Vortech installation... Perhaps a little but not that much....

Who tuned your car? Maybe give them a call and tell them about your gas mileage problem.. Did you pull the plugs and see how they look? Sometime a plug will tell you a lot on how the engine is running.. I use the Motorcraft AWSF 22C's gapped at around .035. Those plugs have worked out great for me.
I have also heard that the Autolite 103's are pretty good as well.

Good Luck to you....

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm using Ford Motorsport plugs 1 heat range colder than stock.
I'll definately call my tuner Monday morning, however he's a good 80 miles away from me. Thanks Sting :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Well

MustangLife said:
I'm N/A with the only hp mod so far is a densecharger and I am getting 12-15 mpg around town. I'm pissed about that, the 15 mpg is with me not getting my foot on it at all. The 12 mpg is gasing it every once and a while. Haven't made a road trip yet.

The factory sticker on my car said 18 mpg around town. I don't see how that is possible. oh did I mention its a 5 speed. What the hell or is this normal.
My 98 gets about 20-21 mpg average. It is a combination of interstate and stop and go driving. Never taken a road trip in it yet.(purchased it in June). I prefer my truck on long trips.

My 87 LX 5.0 and my 90 LX 5.0 always got 25-27 mpg on the highway and about 17-19 city.

If you don't have mods and are getting that mpg, something is wrong. I even do alot of fast take offs in mine and still get around 20-21 city. Mine is auto.

Is it time for a tune up??????

John

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: Re: Well

jetmechb727 said:
My 98 gets about 20-21 mpg average. It is a combination of interstate and stop and go driving. Never taken a road trip in it yet.(purchased it in June). I prefer my truck on long trips.

My 87 LX 5.0 and my 90 LX 5.0 always got 25-27 mpg on the highway and about 17-19 city.

If you don't have mods and are getting that mpg, something is wrong. I even do alot of fast take offs in mine and still get around 20-21 city. Mine is auto.

Is it time for a tune up??????

John
John, his car isn't stock.. He added a Supercharger and a lot of other stuff... Granted 10mpg is a little low he should be able to do a little better around town. For some reason I have seen that pre 99 GT's did get a lot better gas mileage for some reason.
My 2000 GT got actually exactly what was on the sticker when it was new. Around 17 city and 24 highway.. Now after all the mods it gets about 14 City and 22 highway... Or around 17 average... (I don't drive Highway all that much) ....

But yes, I suggest talking with the tuner that tuned his car to see what he has done to mess up his gas mileage that bad... I think he must be running overly rich or his plugs are gapped wrong or his timing is way retarded even at the low rpm range...

The only way to tell is Dyno it with an A/F readout... That will show where you are at.. Also look at the plugs and see how they look...

Good Luck

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts