Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. On Ebay they are selling these Flash-2-Pass garage door openers for about $75. It is mounted close to either headlight and taps into the high beam wire. To open or close your garage door you just momentarily pull up on your turn signal lever to the flash to pass. I have a visor home link coming from Ebay and plan on programming the remote and taping down the button then mounting it close to one headlight and tapping into the high beam wire. Tired of the remote falling off the visor and don't want to mess with the wiring inside to hook it up. Was wondering if anyone else has done this.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Never heard of this before, but can easily be done with a $20 garage door opener the same way you're dong it.
We used to hook up garage door openers to AUX outputs on car alarms in the 90's It's really no different, you're just using the wire that goes hot when the brights are on to trigger a relay the closes the circuit in the opener.
Only problem I see, is if you use your brights a lot, you could drain the garage door opener battery pretty quickly as it will constantly be sending the signal when the brights are on. If you don't use your brights for extended periods of time, then it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of this before, but can easily be done with a $20 garage door opener the same way you're dong it.
We used to hook up garage door openers to AUX outputs on car alarms in the 90's It's really no different, you're just using the wire that goes hot when the brights are on to trigger a relay the closes the circuit in the opener.
Only problem I see, is if you use your brights a lot, you could drain the garage door opener battery pretty quickly as it will constantly be sending the signal when the brights are on. If you don't use your brights for extended periods of time, then it won't be an issue.
Hi. Actually there is no battery involved (except the car battery). The remote I'm going to use is from a Ford visor. Driving with brights was my concern too. I don't know if it will have an effect on the home link having constant power with brights. Could be I'll be opening garage doors as I pass by.😊

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If the Homelink remote is being powered by the cars 12v battery, you wont have an issue driving with your brights on. As far as it opening other garage doors, the chance of that is very slim, and if it does,
1. you'll probably never know
2. It's not your garage door, so....

·
Registered
22,123 Posts
flash to pass on a fox is on a different circuit than brights

should not be a problem with battery if it had one

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Or for $20 you go to a boneyard and grab a Gentex homelink mirror and wire it into your car and have a few other features as well. (auto dimming, compass, outside temp and 3 garage doors).

Yes, I know there are many ways to skin a cat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
There's an easy way to do it.

Take a spare garage door remote, then find how the switch/button works. Most of them it just makes a contact between two points on the circuit board. Solder a wire from each contact, long enough to reach near the hazard switch.

Then...if you don't have a convertible, grab a hazard/convertible top switch assembly. The wire for the top is already in the harness (or is on both of mine), you can remove (cut) the plug from the harness since you're not going to use it anyway. Or pick one up from a JY or ebay or whatever which is how I did mine. You will need a relay. If using an 87 relay (87a can be used but it not necessary), pin 30 goes to one of the wires from the remote, 87 to the other. They just make contact between them when the relay is energized. 85 can go to either +12v (batt) or +12v (ign), depending on if you want it to work with the key off or not. 86 goes to one of the wires on the convertible top switch depending on if you want to be able to "push" to open the garage or "pull" to open.

-to "push", pin 86 of the relay will go to pink on the switch harness. To "pull", use GY/LB. That puts +12v switched to the relay, which energizes the relay, the relay makes contact between 30 & 87 and it triggers your remote.

Mine's a little different in that it's a 2.3 turbo out of a Turbocoupe, using a TC computer which has octane adjust. In factory application, you could switch it to "premium" mode or "regular" mode, the difference being that in "premium" the timing curve was a little more aggressive on the top end, among a few other things. On my '93, I have the oct adj wired to the convertible top switch, but since the switch is momentary, I had to make a detent, so push it in for "premium" and pull it back to "neutral" (switch in middle) for "regular", then "pull" the switch to the rear to open the garage. Girlfriend laughs about it, push the switch in for "TOP" power. Whatever. The difference isn't that noticeable; this time of year with cool heavy air, what I notice is that when boost comes on, it hits harder and faster than in "regular", destroys tires in the first 3 gears when it hits. I about lost it this morning in a hurry on the way to work, went to pass another car on the highway in 3rd at about 50 when it hit and got sideways. Guy in the truck I passed gave me "the bird" big time.

I hope I got the pin #'s right on the relay....just going off of my memory. It's real simple.

I just put a litlte hole in the case of the remote with the wires run through the hole; my remote has a two-piece case and the case splits in the center, notched the case halves, ran the wire through, stuck some velcro to the case and velcro'd it to the back side of the dash, out of sight & out of mind. What is kinda funny about it was that after I got it done, the GF was out in the shop and I showed her what I done, and she said "you're a genious". No, I'm not....it was actually a crappy idea. I was sitting on the toilet thinking what can I use the "pull back" function of the convertible top switch for since it's momentary and it hit me, why can't I use it for the garage door?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
..forgot to add, homelink doesn't work with all garage door openers, which is what I found out with my truck, of course AFTER spending a few hours installing the Gentex mirror

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the flash 2 pass and have for years. Started using on motorcycles and since I had the system I got extra modules and installed on a couple older cars. You just flash your high beams twice to open or close, works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts