Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK OK OK, I know this topics been covered a 1000 time but..I'm changing cams in my stang tomorrow and was wondering if its safe to switch to a full synthetic oil? I've heard many horror stories about seals and gunk in the motor ect...My stang is a carb motor with about 120,000 miles on it. , doesn't somke or use any oil at all. I've never had any problems with dino oil but I can see the new technology in the snthetic oil. Somebody give me the full story..... :confused:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i wouldnt put in synthetic. maybe part synthetic...

take care,
adam

·
Registered
35,047 Posts
Only took me 4 times of switching to synthetic in higher mileage vehicles (+80K) and dealing with the resulting leaks before I learned my lesson -- yup, I'm quick that way. Leaks won't happen every time, but I believe based on other posts it happens more often than not on higher mileage vehicles; and it's happened on 100% of the ones I've switched. I believe your money will be better spent by simply changing your dino oil and filter often. Your engine made it to 120K just fine that way - no reason to change your approach now. It's a subjective thing - each of us has to make our own decision about it, but I use regular dino oil in mine (fresh topend rebuild last year 2K miles; 52K on the shortblock) and keep it and the filter changed at 3K religiously. While synthetic is great stuff, unless you live in extreme temperature climates (hot or cold), or it's a racer, I simply don't think the benefits are worth the cost. My wife's car has synthetic specified by the manufacturer - so I've stuck with synthetic there since it came new w/syn in the crankcase (and the warranty required it). But not in mine. I do use syn in my tranny and rear end as it's not changed nearly as often. But not in the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts