Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to get some new full length headers and I have been hearing great things about the step headers. What different companies out there make them? What is the quality? What is the price? Are there really that much power gains over standard full length headers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't anyone know about step headers and what different companies make them?

·
Registered
469 Posts
There is a lot of marketing behind stepped headers. You would be money ahead just buying a good set of long tube headers with the correct primary tube diameter and length as well as a good collector design for your application. Next thing you know they will be marketing a stepped intake design. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that there is tons of marketing into the Step Headers and everything else out there for that matter. The Step Headers are proven performers as shown on dyno results. I agree that price vs. performance ratio is probibly not worth it, but at the same time if I am going to benefit significantly from the headers, I would like them too. Bassani is extreemly expensive and the reason I was asking who makes step headers is to find out who else makes them.

Does anyone else out there make Step Headers other than Bassani or true custom made headers?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Where have you seen these dyno numbers. Many reputable shops have shown less then a 2% increase using a stepped header. Why would two primary tube diameters be better then a correctly sized primary tube. Don't waste your money. JMO

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't remember where I saw the article, but the dyno sheet showed 11RWHP and 18RWTQ from regular full length headers to the stepped header setup. Either way, is there another company other than Bassani... I won't pay what they want for them... from what it looks like, they charge around $800. That is too expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well i think kooks makes them as well, but you know that's a 4 digit price tag by the time they are coated and in the car.

i was very close to getting a set of kooks, but in the end decided that the money could be redirected towards other things that will give me the extra power if i need it.

promustang makes some too it think, but i'm sure their price isn't much different than everyone elses.

i just don't know of an inexpensive set of stepped headers out in the market.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really looking for inexpensive step headers, just don't think 800 is worth it, that's all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
WA2FAST said:
I'm not really looking for inexpensive step headers, just don't think 800 is worth it, that's all.
where are you getting your prices from? www.panhandleperformance.com sells the bassani LT stepped's for $480 all day long with the standard nickel coating. i've even found them as low as $450 from year one/next generation.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
hey don, how are things?

from what i gathered hedman makes them but i think they are only shorties, i may be wrong though. it has been a while since researching it...

take care,
adam

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Hedman only makes shorties for late model Mustangs. Your choices are limited to Bassani, Kooks or Pro-Mustang. I would just go with a set of Hookers in 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" unless you just want to be able to say you have "stepped" headers. Even Hookers are gonna run upwards of $400, even more if you want ceramic coated.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
480 isn't bad, but again, I can get a set of BBK full length polished ceramic headers (basicaly Jet Hot coated) for 359... I also have been reading that the Bassani headers hang real low... I don't need to hit my damn headers on anything else, I know what that's like!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Just FYI, the BBK's are not equal length, the collector (if you want to call it that) necks down to about 2.25" and may not fit with a scattershield. I experienced interference with the steering shaft on my 95 Cobra with BBK 1 5/8" LT's. They are a pretty nice finish and aren't bad for a street car header, but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.