Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
Just bought a bone stock 1992 LX 5.0 as a project car, no mods whatsoever. Looking forward to being a contributing member of this community! After doing a full tune-up and some resto work I'll be looking to add a full exhaust (headers/mid-pipe/cat-back) but want to do it right from the start if possible :cool:

Some considerations and questions:

• Absolutely want to minimize/eliminate drone if possible! I'm 43 yrs old 👨‍🦳 and just don't want that anymore
  • Long tube vs shortys. LT seems the way to go but are they louder when all is said and done? Cost not really a factor
  • X pipe vs H pipe? I will always choose catted (again, I'm old 👨‍🦳). Looking for max hp with min drone
  • Catback recommendation? Seems like flowmasters are not recommended due to being droney
  • Strongly considering supercharging in the future if that is a variable

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice!

Pascal

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check out the recent thread on long tube headers. Little gain for the pain.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's your budget? If you go long tubes, you don't want to go cheap. Between poor fit and corrosion, better to spend the money on a good set. If you plan to go FI, headers become less of a concern. At that point, a good set of shorties would be money better spent.

For mid-pipes, H pipes give more of a classic gurgle, X pipes smooth it out more. They don't have much effect on drone.

Everyone hates Flowmasters. They absolutely drone. If you don't want drone, stay far away from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's your budget? If you go long tubes, you don't want to go cheap. Between poor fit and corrosion, better to spend the money on a good set. If you plan to go FI, headers become less of a concern. At that point, a good set of shorties would be money better spent.

For mid-pipes, H pipes give more of a classic gurgle, X pipes smooth it out more. They don't have much effect on drone.

Everyone hates Flowmasters. They absolutely drone. If you don't want drone, stay far away from them.
Thx for the info! While I’m not rich my budget is wide open on this project. What are considered to be the better LT’s? I presume BBKs are considered pretty cheap? And your saying there is minimal benefit with LT + FI? I am surprised to hear that

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
bbk headers fit fine longtube installation not nearly as bad as everyone says. 2 people helps a lot.

no one makes off road h pipes or x pipes anymore so search fb, cl etc.

best sound, shorty headers, old motorsport h pipe, dynomax super turbo. no drone.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Read all these threads (ignore unimportant posts in some) and you will see find that on full exhaust street cars that see multiple operating conditions that long tubes make no appreciable difference in power.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Can you give me a link? Searched but couldn’t find it. Thx!

·
Registered
288 Posts
bbk headers fit fine longtube installation not nearly as bad as everyone says. 2 people helps a lot.

no one makes off road h pipes or x pipes anymore so search fb, cl etc.

best sound, shorty headers, old motorsport h pipe, dynomax super turbo. no drone.
Actually! You can still order an off road X pipe from LAR Performance for BBK or MAC long tubes. They build them on demand so it takes a few weeks to receive it.

Reactions: kjb302ho

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Here's the route I took with my latest exhaust setup after redoing my engine. I wanted to quiet the car down a little bit as i'm not 17 anymore wanting the loudest thing on the block, and i actually like my neighbors now.

JBA shorty unequal lenght headers, ceramic coated
Bassani catted X-pipe
Pypes Flow Tubes
Borla Pro XS mufflers
My previous flowmaster SS tailpipes.

Engine is on the verge of it's first start, so hopefuly i get to hear this combo soon. Unfortunately prices have gone waaaaay up since i put this setup together. At today's prices it's $550 for the headers and $670 for the X-pipe. $75 for the flow tubes and $200 for the mufflers. $1500 and i reused my tailpipes. Looks like new tailpipes with SS tips would have run me another $300 :oops:

Reactions: Phord

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
For the quieter sound, I'd hunt the quietest mufflers you can, make the tail pipes one size smaller than the rest, don't use larger tips than the tail pipes, run two high flow cats, and consider mid length headers for better fitment and flow. Don't use ball collectors, that goes without saying if you want the most power, cut off the crap headers come with, and weld on v-band flanges.

With a good muffler choice, then you can use higher flowing cats. They make so many, plus the huge number of unknown brands. Find a pair that have less cells per inch, with the largest brick diameter you can fit under the car.

Sizing is another issue entirely, stock 2.25" is too small, and 2.5" is popular, but depending on the end power, you may want bigger later on. I'd make it 2.5" dual through the mufflers, do it right and maybe you could sell it later for a decent price, if you had to have bigger.

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
150 Posts
Why waste ridiculous money + the pain in the butt install for any other headers than stock, on a stock engine? Makes no sense.

I have stock headers with 450k miles on them, Bassanni high flow cats & X pipe (2 1/2") that bolted right up, and then 2 1/2" exhaust pipes to Flowmaster 44's and out over the axle to stainless tips like factory. It is louder, but not bad.

I don't, or didn't have drone until I took the tailpipes off and just have turndowns after the mufflers now. [Which I only did to upgrade my upper & lower suspension points with torque boxes and such.] It is fairly loud now above 2 grand. You can't really have a conversation with anybody in passenger seat above 3 grand without yelling lol. I didn't have that problem with the pipes going all the way under the bumper.

I like my Flowmasters, just not with the turndowns. It definitely sounds mean though, idling or otherwise.

Total investment, $200 for a good used Bassanni X pipe on Ebay and misc pipe pieces for the mufflers. Did all the work myself with clamp together exhaust + brackets. The Flowmasters were on it when I bought the car 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Because stock headers are fugly

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
150 Posts
Ah, you can barely see them! And they're black, so who can tell lol

What are you building, a princess trailer queen or a driver?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. With what I’ve done to my engine in terms of appearance and modifications, Stock headers weren’t going back on.

Edit: nevermind. I saw you said “stock” engine. I agree with you. Disregard

1 - 20 of 36 Posts