I developed a leak around the filler tube and the fuel tank. There is a rubber
grommet that is tore, and everytime I try to fill it over 10 gallons, gas
pours out everywhere. It happens also when I accelerate to much, or make
a steep left turn. Does anyone know how to replace it? How is the filler tube
connected to the fuel tank?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Your going to have to drop the tank and remove the filler tube. The part at Ford is about $6.00, before dropping the tank try to either run it down or siphon some out, that will help with trying to balance it on a jack when you lower it. If your gonna drop the tank to replace that then you might as well also check the fuel sock on the fuel pump and replace it while you have it down.

Hope this helps

Bill

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I was hoping that I wasnt going to have to do all of that. I guess
I have no choise though. Any recomendations on fuel pumps. My lx has
150,000 miles on her, but runs like a champ.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Replacing the fuel pump wouldn't be a bad idea either, I don't know if you have any mod's to the motor where you would need bigger than stock. Be prepared if you want to swap out the fuel pump, Mine cost around $90.00 for the one I got at Advance Auto.

Bill

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is completely stock. I intend on modifying it once I work out all of the little bugs. Fuel injectors are one upgrade, although I'm not quite sure if I would need some with a higher flow rate or not. I know that you can get a higher lpr fuel pump and a regulator, but I'm not quite sure if I would see the advantages besides future moddability.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you just want a quick and easy fix....

Assuming your setup is the same as my '88, you can get the filler tube out without dropping the tank. Unfortunately its probably rusted around the hole in the tank and thats how the gas is getting out. Mine looks like surface rust so i'm gonna put a rubber stopper in it and clean it up with a brass brush (keeping the tank sealed and not creating sparks) and shoot it with some paint. The seal costs like $7 and i had to get it from ford. I'm putting mine in tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes. To remove the filler tube just remove the plastic cover thing on the front and the one on the back.... then just slide the tube out. take a little playing with but it'll come. Then you can see how bad it is. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
beater88lx, thanks for the information. I dont believe I saw any rust on the filler tube or the tank, but I'll have to look closer. I do know that the leak is directley around the rubber grommet, and the grommet is tore. Let me know how it goes, and maybe some more details on what bolts to remove. I'll have to take a look at mine tonight and maybe try it if I can get to the dealarship in time. Did you have to have the seal special orderd?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I lucked out and one of the ford dealers near me had the seal, but i had to call around. The only bolts i took out were the 4(?) around the filler tube on the outside (2 are used to hold the gas cap on)..... and there are 4 directly on the back side of the tube(torward the quarter panel) which holds on a rubber boot. The filler neck just slides into that seal quite a ways. its not attached to the tank in any way. Gotta love them high milage cars.... got 250,000 on mine:)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I just bought mine. I guess the seller forgot to inform me about the filler tube:rolleyes: I first found out about it on my drive home. I pulled into a gas station, but they were out of regular. When I went to cross the street, I accedintally rosted first gear (my daily driver is a manual 2.0l contour) and pulled into the other station. I then immediatly noticed a state trooper filling his patrol car. I was a little scared seeing that I just purchased the car, and had no plates on it. I decided to pull into the pump adjacent to him, and started filling up my car. I was chit-chatting with the cop (hoping he didnt hear the burnout) when I started smelling strong fuel vapors. I then noticed fuel absoltely pouring from the joint between the filler tube and the tank. I then shut the pump off and did my best Chevy Chase impression (looked around like nothing happened, started whistleing). Well the cop drove off and I had payed with my credit card, so I immediatly jumped in my car and got the hell out of there, leaving a quite large puddle. The funniest part was driving on the freeway, when someone would get behind me, they would instantly back waaaaaay off. I cant imagine why.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
hehe...great story. I would have been worried about all that fuel spilling out near my pipes. mine was just a little damp so i wanted to clean it up. State troopers must be more leanient out there, they pull me over even if I just give a little pipe. (good afternoon officer Torre, what seems to be the problem). I thought that things might improve once i got a respectable job and all, but no dice. At least now i can afford the tickets so no worries:) I hope you don't find any other problems with your new ride.

-Neil

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope I dont find anything else either. The door hand broke off the first time I tried to get in it also. The selling point of the car was 2 thing. First, the lady that owned it kept every receipt. I have receipts for belts, lenses, halogens, dist., and most others. I also got the original window paper as well as the mustang 1989 color pamphlet. The car ran so well, I couldnt resist. There is a few small rust spots that I need to adress as well.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beater88lx, thanks for the info. I went to my ford dealarship yesterday, and purchased the rubber grommet for $3.99. It took some manuvering, but I did manage to completely slide the filler tube out, pull out the junk grommet, and finagle the new one in place. took about 30-40 minutes. I did have to take out the bolts that holds the Cover latch and the recessed plastic. I have no idea what its called, but it had to be unbolted in order to give more vertial flexibility. No more gas leaks:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad that it worked for you. After taking a closer look at mine I decided to drop the tank last night and I'm gonna replace it. It looked kinda iffy (more rust than i thought) and I wanted to put a larger fuel pump in it anyway. Gas leaks just aren't something i wanted to mess with.:D Anyway good luck with the new ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts