Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I could make up some story about my fuel gauge not working, but it works great! I'm just lazy and seem to wait until I run out of gas to fill it up.

I haven't fully ran out of gas yet, but once it shut off while idling, started right up and made it to the gas station. Well I've started to notice a whining sound from the fuel pump. It's relitively new, less then 3 years old.

Car's a stock 90 GT, I believe the fuel pump was replaced with a stock one. Previous owner had it done.

Should I worry about the whine? Could sucking air cause it to go bad? I plan on replacing the fuel filter today, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I can hear the whine only from the back, and I have dumps.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Some fuel pumps make a lot of noise. Mine (dual 255's) make a heck of a lot of noise. I would never go under 1/4 tank of gas as the fuel helps lube the pump and keep it cool. Unless you feel like dropping the tank, I wouldn't worry about the noise unless it starts acting up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
what he said. Mine make a LOT of noise but none are stock. If you're making a lot of noise on a stock one that could be a bad sign. Fuel pump whining more loudly in a normal, from what I've read, is a sign that is on the way out. My bet is that maybe the owner didn't replace it with a stock one if its been making noise like that for a while.

Replace the filter and if it dies on you - pumps are relatively cheap nowadays (less than 100bills for a really good one).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with Hawaii 50. The fuel being pumped and in the tank is the only source of lubrication/cooling. If you're realy lazy you ought to put gas in the tank before it gets low enough to draw air - that way, you avoid having to drop the tank to replace another burnt up pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts