Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I turn the key to on position the fuel pump doesnt prime itself , it turns on and stays on.Any suggestions???Also ,I think?,since the fuel pump stayed running it really flooded the car and I can't get it started again.HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
According to a book I'm reading, here is a quote about the fuel pressure regulator.

"When the engine is off, spring pressure keeps the regulator valve closed, maintaining pressure in the system"

I would verify that you don't have a problem with the regulator by installing a gauge on the schrader valve and see what your pressure is at key on. Should be around 35-45 psi with key on and engine off. If you turn key off it should hold that pressure for a period of time. It should not drop quickly unless you have a leak.

hope this helps you out

Bill

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill for your reply.I actually have a new regulator and pressure is right.There is no leaks either.The fuel pump just stays on and keeps on pumping gas.It sucks.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
it sounds like a stuck relay, check the relay under your seat. pull it and the pump will go off. get a new one for starters.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
the relays sticking , if its 87-91 look under you seat or in the engine bay on 92 -]93 tap it a few times, It should let the relay release and cut the power to the pump. Mines did this few times this year, Never bothered to replace it because taping it once with my finger allways works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts