Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my '95 Gt for about a month and noticed the fuel pump makes a pretty good buzzing sound. You can hear it outside the car while it's running. The sound also varies when you put on the turn signals for example (drop in current from the light going on lowers the buzz).

Is this noise fairly normal with these cars, or is it a sign that the pump is going? Otherwise the car runs great.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Don't worry, it's very common for our cars. It does not mean your fuel pump is going bad.

I'd say mine sounds more like a high-pitch whine. It's been doing it since I bought the car a year and a half ago at about 70,000 miles.

Other people report the same thing.

Late,
IJCobra

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
kevin, my car does it also. i,ve heard it since like 125,000 (currently 150,000) i dont know if the pump is going bad, but i think its the first step to its death. im replaceing it soon with a 190 unit soon hopefully the whine will go away.

also i noticed the whine after my fuel pressure was turned up to about 42psi, i dont know if this had any cause in the whine developing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Usually if the fuel pump all of the sudden starts whining then this is a sign it is wearing out. Unfortunately, it appears you have not owned the car for long and it has always whined since you have had the car. I would probably replace it with an aftermarket fuel pump (which will whine even louder) just to be safe.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brock- yeah, I convinced myself that that's probably a good idea (replace it) from a reliability standpoint....
thanks guys.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would it just be better to put a 255 pump, instead of a 190? Even though the car is stock? I might put a S/C in the future, so if I will need more fuel, i'd rather put the 255. What you think?

·
Registered
476 Posts
My pump has been whining for over two years and I've only got around 55,000 miles on mine. Besides, if it starts to die I'll just have a good reason to replace it:D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, it's not recommended to get too large a pump for your needs. The unused fuel is pumped back into the tank, which heats it, which isn't good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts