Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the fuel pressure is turn up to 40 lbs at idle the car wants to surge and carry on. The car will not stay running unless the you have the idle screw turned in for the car to idle at 2000 RPM. It almost sounds like the car is flooding out. When you turn the fuel pressure down to 24 lbs the car idles just fine. There is no surging and the car will idle around 700-900 RPM. If you turn the fuel pressure any higher it goes back to surging and carrying on. If anybody has any suggestion please forward them to me at [email protected] before I buy a carburetor.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
is that fuel pressure reading that you gave us with vacuum on or off?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Unplug the vacuum to your AFPR. set your FP to 40. Shut your car off. Unplug the battery for a half hour or more. reattach battery. Key on, engine off. set your TPS as LOW as it will go. Start car, raise (or lower) idle screw until TPS is between .95 and .98

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is an AFRP? Fuel pressure regulator?? If so, what should I do about when the car is making boost? I have a boost sensitive regulator. Thanks for the help guys. I'm still taken ideas in case this does work.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Are you sure your injectors are the correct size for your MAF? If you have increased your injectors and have the correct MAF calibration what is your injector size? My car was doing something the same because the injectors were too big at idle but perfect once the boost came on (the thing was spitting black smoke and if you let it run very long it would flood out). The fix for this (what I did anyway) was to add a MAFtuner from pro-m, cleared up right away, did a little road tuning with a wide band 0 2 and had no problems since. Also I removed my FMU with this set up, didn't need it.
Len

1 - 8 of 8 Posts