Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Mods consist of: GT-40 intake,tfs I cam, E7TE Milled only slightly to get rid of minor warpage, also exhaust bump was grinded out and a 3 angle valve job was done, Aeromotive FPR, and BBK 255 fuel pump.

Still using stock 19lb injectors.

Problem--- I have fuel leaking from somewhere but looks like it is only on the driver side, where the injectors are located, all on top of the lower intake.

Why is this happening?

I did a search and could not find a good answer.

One thing I forgot to mention was the we did not replace the o-rings on the injectors when swapping to the new intake. Is this a must? or Maybe a solve to my problem?

·
Registered
923 Posts
did you install the o rings dry?

·
Registered
77 Posts
A bad o-ring could definatly be the cause! It is always recomended to have them replaced , but rarely is it practiced in the real world when doing intake swaps. Hopefully you lubed them prior to shoving them back into the intake inj. bores and rail with some eng. oil or vasaline jelly. If not, it's very likely that you may have damaged them during install or they didn't seat fully in the rail.

·
Registered
35,056 Posts
Pull the upper back off; pull the fuel rail, clean everything; install new orings on both ends of each injector, lube them - vaseline, light oil, white grease - all seem to work well - I used assembly lube on mine and put it all back together. Be sure you seat them completely. They should sort of "snap" into place when the rail is correctly aligned. If you're going to the trouble of pulling the upper - don't get tempted into just lubing them -- replace the orings.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yea i would definitely replace the o-rings.It definitely won't hurt ya any.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The new regulator, is it rail mounted? Aeromotive made some $hitty rail mounts awhile back; they'd puke fuel out the adjustment screw. Before you start tearing everything off, take a good hard look at that first. I know, I went through hell with Aeromotive over their crap.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Gload said:
Problem--- I have fuel leaking from somewhere but looks like it is only on the driver side, where the injectors are located, all on top of the lower intake.
That's not your FPR, at least not unless you have a ventriloquist one that is throwing fuel over to the driver's side. Here's another vote for your problem being improper install of the o-rings.... it's a common mistake, and not a big deal. Just make sure to lube the new ones, a finger dipped in some kinda lubricant and then smeared around the o-ring is all you need.

·
Registered
35,056 Posts
...and the lube job works better, as with most things, if you lube up the whole ring before you slide the injector into the ring - or slide the ring over the injector if you like. Some folks install them dry, and then lube the "outside" of the oring; it can just as easily grab and tear on the inside as the out.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
one other thing i highly recommend after having the same problem.....

AFter you get the rails mounted and fuel injectors in.....turn the car to the RUN position....this will fire the fuel pump up and you can watch for any leaks! :) its a PITA to put it all together and find a leak....also make sure the top of the fuel rail that cups over the fuel injector is sitting flush and even....if its angled it will leak....I had this problem and had to bend one of the cups just a hair with some channel lock plyers...

good luck!...also replace the o-rings...they are only 14 bux for 2 boxes of them from autozone.....

I to used assembly lube to help slide them in easy....just use a micro amount.. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
My injectors wouldn't line up properly after my switch to an RPM II intake. I left the injectors in the intake and the rail but unbolted the rail it from the intake. The mounting holes wouldn't line up. I have the extruded rail, so I made some new mounting tabs to line everything up and the leaking stopped...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Read this.....soon

I know a guy that had that prob.........fix it or dont turn it on.

His car looks like a ashtray.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys.

I didn't run the thing to long after seeing what happened.

It ended up to be a bad o-ring on the top of one injector where it connects to the fuel rail. All fixed:)

Now I think my thermostat is shot:( It's not opening when it should, so I will replace that on Monday.

Why can't you just put things together and have it all work the first time, it's aggrevating sometimes.

Any but definately worth it when your done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts