Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on the different brands of fuel injector cleaners? They vary wildly in price, but is there really any difference? No Amsoil distributors please. If I want company propoganda, I'll visit your website........:D

Where can I find the kind that attaches to the schrader valve on the fuel rail? I saw some several years ago, but can't find them now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have done a lot of research on this topic. Here is what I have found:

1) There is a difference between injector cleaners and fuel system cleaners. The latter are usually miuch stronger, and will clean intakes valves and combustion chamber deposists as well as injectors. They should be used every oil change, but do not use more than 2 or 3 treatments per change, as they can dilute the oil if used too much.

2) Fuels used to have more, and better, detergents in them than they do know. Plus, alcohols added to fuels tend to leave deposits quickly on injectors. I like to use low-concentrate cleaners on a continuous basis, that is, with each tankful. That way, major deposits do not form.

3) There are some very fine fuel system cleaners. These do not use alcohols and have top cylinder lubes as well:
Red Line SI-1 or SI-2, which is a 4-oz bottle perfect for the continuous cleaning route I mentioned. SI-! is a HD version to clean out the whole system

Regane by Gumout is a fine product. - a once per oil change type

Techron is very good; Valvoline has both types.

BG 44K is a very strong cleaner - there have been reports of it actually de-laminating the coatings on some Bosch injector coils, but more modern designs do not seem to have the problem. I would not use it too often in my car though. It seems to be more for cars that already have a problem - I do not like to let things get to that point, as all that dirt cleaned has to go somewhere, and I would just as soon keep it out of the cylinder and off the rings.

- a once per oil change type

1 - 2 of 2 Posts