Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here do a Fuel Injected build up? Maybe using a CHP Spider Intake? How much HP did you get?

·
Registered
364 Posts
350.6rwhp @ 5900 and 363.8rwtq @ 5000, still pulling when we shut it down, HP would've peaked higher.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's a guy with a 351C in a t-bird over on cool cats that modified an offy equiflow intake to accept a mustang fuel rail and such... he has pics of it on there and I think that he is using the A9L computer... reports are that he get's 25 mpg with that thing... running 2v aussie heads, flat tops, and the 214/224 duration cam from speed pro. Says that it runs really well too... Oh yeah, and he has a chip or something for it to run 24 or 30/lb injectors...

Methos

·
Registered
262 Posts
96-2valve said:
Any more details?
What do you wanna know?

75mm MAF, 70mm TB, 30# inj, timing set at 12* initial, 1 3/4 Husler Hedders, CHP EFI Spyder intake with elbow adaptor and 1/2" rails. It uses the stock 89 5.0 puter with a custom chip.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Does anyone have any times slips by chance?

How about Blown efi combos? WIll a vortech kit bolt to a 351c with no problems? My best friend swears by this motor, its new to me, and I am curious? He has a spare sitting, and it has to be a stronger block than a stock 5.0? Do you have pics?

Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
personally I am planning on making an SHO style intake that is 2 stage for my set of 4v heads.... but that's my own wacky ideas...

Methos

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 Bad 88 GT:

I'm very interested in your setup... I've got a 72 Cougar and I'm toying with the idea of EFI.

Did you have to fab a blockoff plate for the mech fuel pump?
If so, did you upgrade the rest of the fuel delivery?
What fuel pump, what regulator?

Aside from the EFI, what's the cam profile like?
Off-the-shelf product or custom grind?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well you can just buy the block off plate. I'll let him tell you the rest ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
255 Walbro intank pump and Aeromotive AFPR. I machined a plate for the fuel pump boss out of 1/4" AL plate. The cam is an old .509 lift Lunati.

·
Registered
262 Posts
96-2valve said:
Does anyone have any times slips by chance?

How about Blown efi combos? WIll a vortech kit bolt to a 351c with no problems? My best friend swears by this motor, its new to me, and I am curious? He has a spare sitting, and it has to be a stronger block than a stock 5.0? Do you have pics?

Chris
12.42 @ 111.65
1.95 60'

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's pretty good! I would like to get mine FI someday but just don't have the time or money :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
other then cold startup, what do you think the advantages are going to an EFI?
frankly I have lost any interest in it
to the point that on my 4x4 I went propane instead
and also converted my brothers truck from EFI to propane

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
michael85 said:
other then cold startup, what do you think the advantages are going to an EFI?
frankly I have lost any interest in it
to the point that on my 4x4 I went propane instead
and also converted my brothers truck from EFI to propane
Umm how about hot starting (more of a PITA than cold IMO), reliability, no carb adjustment black art, fuel economy, throttle response?

I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
MAC 72,

If you want to try fuel injection but do not want to commit to too much $$$ and complexity go with the Holley 4 barrel fuel injection system. Holley makes one for 700 CFM and also a 900 CFM version. I think they call it "Commander" TBI. You should be good with 700CFM.

Once installed your engine bay will look stock and the system is easy to tune.

I tried it myself on a chevy small block and it worked great. it's a speed density system, so no MAF to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
serpentnoir:

Thanks. I've looked at the TBI systems before and I really don't want to go that route. I'd rather have the mass air than the speed density, and I'm not that concerned about cost or complexity. I'm also considering a centrifugal supercharger (Vortech or Powerdyne), so there goes inexpensive and simple right out the window. I really like the look of the CHP Spyder intake and I'm not concerned about it looking stock.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
I havent driven an EFI vehicle that had better throttle response then a carb.
this could be the tuned runner intake volume on factory efi as I have never driven a converted carb manifold efi
carb adjustments? when do you adjust your carb? once it is set you shouldnt have to mess with it.
how much better economy are you hoping to achieve for your dollars?
hopefully you will end up with something that will run as well as a carb'd engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
michael85:

I'm not trying to wedge myself into the middle of the carb-versus-efi debate, but in my experience, efi does generally have better throttle response. I'm sure that with particular setups compared side-by-side, you could cite a case where the carbed version has quicker throttle response than the efi version, but like I said, generally speaking, efi is quicker (IMHO).

Also, if you drive in the mountains, you might very well need to adjust your carb at least twice... once on the way up, and once on the way down.

My $.02
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts