Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ,
So I changed my oil yesterday and it smelled like straight fuel and felt thinner. I have noticed that it would smoked alittle on start up but would clear within couple mins . Also if I shut it off and tried starting the car up again I would have to hold the throttle wide open and let it crank . Long story short I took injectors out and dropped them off at a injector cleaning and testing place . The guy messaged me back saying no leak all are working well . What else should I be looking here for ? Cause it be pulse issue related ? I did a compression test everything looked good . Any help is appreciated. They are 60lbs injectors fyi .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excessive fuel pressure?
was running about 37psi if I'm not.mistaken . I did buy a new one to replace the old one just to upgrade it . I would loose the fuel pressure within about 15 min of car being turned off . But nothing visible leaking .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just talked to the injector guy he said couple of the injectors had a messed up stream and weren't atomizing correct so hopefully it was just that .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had similar problems once.... fuel pressure measured fine, injectors swapped. Turned out the aeromotive fpr diaphragm was warped or worn out from our awesome CA fuel. Car started running very rich as the problem got worse. Replaced with a stock replacement fpr for testing and everything was back to normal. Contacted Aeromotive and they told me I should he happy I got 10 years out of it... pound sand... lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had similar problems once.... fuel pressure measured fine, injectors swapped. Turned out the aeromotive fpr diaphragm was warped or worn out from our awesome CA fuel. Car started running very rich as the problem got worse. Replaced with a stock replacement fpr for testing and everything was back to normal. Contacted Aeromotive and they told me I should he happy I got 10 years out of it... pound sand... lol
Yea it's wierd I wasn't to r
What's your PCV / Breather setup?
Pcv capped off , bongs welded onto valley covers hoses running to vented catch can

·
Registered
202 Posts
Gasoline is always going to end up your oil. Fact of internal combustion engines. One of the jobs of the PCV is to draw out evaporated contaminants, including gasoline and water, from your crank case. If you are driving on the street without a PCV I would recommend not driving until the oil is up to full operating temp and changing your oil way more often than every 3000 miles. Otherwise you're probably adding more contaminates than can be blown out during WOT pulls through the breathers. The reason race cars don't have PCV systems is that they usually run at full temp, are at WOT more often, and they see more fluid maintenance. Street cars really should have a PCV system. Even more so if boosted, because there is more blowby.

PCV valves are not just an emissions device. Clearing contaminants from your oil is a good thing, a PCV just happens to be a more emissions friendly version of doing that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gasoline is always going to end up your oil. Fact of internal combustion engines. One of the jobs of the PCV is to draw out evaporated contaminants, including gasoline and water, from your crank case. If you are driving on the street without a PCV I would recommend not driving until the oil is up to full operating temp and changing your oil way more often than every 3000 miles. Otherwise you're probably adding more contaminates than can be blown out during WOT pulls through the breathers. The reason race cars don't have PCV systems is that they usually run at full temp, are at WOT more often, and they see more fluid maintenance. Street cars really should have a PCV system. Even more so if boosted, because there is more blowby.

PCV valves are not just an emissions device. Clearing contaminants from your oil is a good thing, a PCV just happens to be a more emissions friendly version of doing that.
Good to know thank you . I was just going with what was ghetto rigged on it when I bought it and then others opinions were the same . How would one run a pcv valve one my application ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Contaminants will only be drawn through the PCV valve under vacuum. It can be more complex in a boosted application if you have positive manifold pressure at idle. If you have a turbo, not a problem, you just need the right valve for a boosted application. With a centrifugal supercharger, do those boost at idle normally? With a roots blower? Honestly I don't know. You need a vacuum pump in that case I think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Contaminants will only be drawn through the PCV valve under vacuum. It can be more complex in a boosted application if you have positive manifold pressure at idle. If you have a turbo, not a problem, you just need the right valve for a boosted application. With a centrifugal supercharger, do those boost at idle normally? With a roots blower? Honestly I don't know. You need a vacuum pump in that case I think.
Running a vortec

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are you under vacuum at idle? Then it's just a matter of choosing the right valve. Also some people add a check valve in boosted applications.

I have a turbo 4cyl car. I have the stock PCV plumbed to the intake manifold as normal and then the breather(s) goes from the valve cover to a sealed oil separator that then routes to the intake before the turbo. This is the way that has proven to work for that application. If you have a big enough turbo / boost and don't have enough breather then the dipstick pops out and oil is forced passed the seals in the turbo and it smoke screens like James Bond during shifts. A centrifugal supercharger is a lot like a turbo in that boost is RPM dependent, but you don't have to deal with pressure coming up the drain and forcing oil into the turbine housing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you under vacuum at idle? Then it's just a matter of choosing the right valve. Also some people add a check valve in boosted applications.

I have a turbo 4cyl car. I have the stock PCV plumbed to the intake manifold as normal and then the breather(s) goes from the valve cover to a sealed oil separator that then routes to the intake before the turbo. This is the way that has proven to work for that application. If you have a big enough turbo / boost and don't have enough breather then the dipstick pops out and oil is forced passed the seals in the turbo and it smoke screens like James Bond during shifts. A centrifugal supercharger is a lot like a turbo in that boost is RPM dependent, but you don't have to deal with pressure coming up the drain and forcing oil into the turbine housing.
Yes 13 vacuum under idle and I'm making 15 psi of boost . Which was why I was told to delete the pcv completely. I'm not expert at this **** so I trusted the couple people that suggested it

·
Registered
202 Posts
You're not alone. Not many people seem to understand that a PCV isn't just big brother forcing emissions **** on us.

Again though, race car vs. street car. People know more about race cars than street cars because it's more fun. But a race car driven on the street still has street car problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're not alone. Not many people seem to understand that a PCV isn't just big brother forcing emissions **** on us.

Again though, race car vs. street car. People know more about race cars than street cars because it's more fun. But a race car driven on the street still has street car problems.
Gotcha well looks like I'm gonna have to do alot of research all over again and try and get this figured out over winter with the new motor . Thank you tho I do appreciate the knowledge and help

1 - 20 of 31 Posts