Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-90 mustang v8 STOCK-

STEPS I TOOK TO FIX:

Fuel gauge was not working. Dropped the tank and put in a Brand New sending unit. Among new fuel pump.

Gauge barely moved and bounced around a little bit.

Thats when I replaced the Anti-Slosh on the back of the cluster.

Still got little to no movement on the gauge.(filled tank drove it for a few days and filled back up) nothing.

Ended up grabbing a new cluster (my uncle dropped and busted plastic off mine) Seen new cluster working when I purchased it.

Installed new cluster and still the same situation.

IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE CAN I CHECK?

I was thinking possibly a grounding issue?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would make sure you do not have a short.A shorted wire would cause it to read empty and an open could make it read full. There is a good article on the web that covers troubleshooting the fuel gauge/sender circuit.

Make sure you didn't blow the fuse that feeds power, then check the ground which I believe is between the tail lights.
The ohm reading should be between 22(empty) and 145(full).

PM me and I can send you some screen shots out of the manual if you need them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would make sure you do not have a short.A shorted wire would cause it to read empty and an open could make it read full. There is a good article on the web that covers troubleshooting the fuel gauge/sender circuit.

Make sure you didn't blow the fuse that feeds power, then check the ground which I believe is between the tail lights.
The ohm reading should be between 22(empty) and 145(full).

PM me and I can send you some screen shots out of the manual if you need them.
That would be grea if you could send me some screen shots when you have a chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.