Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the FRPP alum. Drive shaft for an early x-mas gift. Unfortunately I put my car into the wall in a snow storm on x-mas eve. Had a bent axel that had to be replaced with the body damage, so I had the Ford dealership slap the d.s. on and remove the dogbone thing.

I drove the car yesterday and it really feels a lot looser in the rear end. Anyone else notice this with that mod? I did end up taking the car back because the rear end is grinding pretty bad still. could this loosenes be the DS or do you think I should have them check the alinement?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT. Nobody had an Alum. Drive Shaft and noticed any difference in driving your car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have one and did not notice a difference at all.

You are only saving about 8#s of rotating mass. That is not something that you should feel in the seat of the pants.. IMHO :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe but I did read in the latest 5.0 or MM&FF mag about a rearend build up and they were really touting the d.s. as being a noticable difference? idunno my car seemed a lot looser. Maybe its just been too long since I drove it.

·
Registered
1997 Mustang GT
451 Posts
I don't see how a driveshaft can cause "loosness" in the rear. It provides absolutely no support for the rear or any other part of the car for that matter. I would bet your looseness problem has something to do with putting the car into a wall.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Sounds like your car is showing results of the collision. I have a full built rear and suspension with a FRPP alum DS. I dont have any problems that you describe. I busted the rear axle housing, so took the DS and had it spun balanced as it was whacked out of center, but that is different then you are describing.

·
Founder of corral.net
1,554 Posts
If you bent an axle chances are you also have a bent brake rotor, possibly a bent caliper bracket, or other damage. I've seen this happen a lot where the dealer just swaps in a new axle and doesn't change the other damaged hardware.

Make sure you get this stuff checked out!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I have an Aluminum DS and haven't noticed any big difference between the steel and the Aluminum shaft... No loosesness in my rear. ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
No problem here with my ALum DS.

Rear is too lose...? Try Less Fiber...

·
Registered
414 Posts
You need to get that car checked out, theres a problem from when you and the wall got together. The driveshaft isn't going to make the rear loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After I got my alum D/S put in, the only thing I noticed was a very bad rubbing problem at highway speeds.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
96rioGT said:
After I got my alum D/S put in, the only thing I noticed was a very bad rubbing problem at highway speeds.
Rubbing Problem? :confused: What kind of rubbing problem?

Did it rub against your Driveshaft loop or against your exhaust clamps perhaps? I actually had to loosen and rotate the my Cat back muffler clamps... They were making contact with the A DS when I lowered the car... That would be bad news and can destroy a Aluminum DS in a Heartbeat ......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rubbing Problem? What kind of rubbing problem?Did it rub against your Driveshaft loop or against your exhaust clamps perhaps? I actually had to loosen and rotate the my Cat back muffler clamps... They were making contact with the A DS when I lowered the car... That would be bad news and can destroy a Aluminum DS in a Heartbeat ......
No d/s loop. I have no clue what its rubbing against. Ive looked at it time and time again for marks as to show whats its rubbing against. The one thing that caught my attention was two parallel grooves about 1-1/2" inches apart on the tranny side of the d/s. But theres nothing above it to cause that kind of damage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I brought the car back to Ford and had them check further. The first said that it was a rotor guad but I talked to the body shop guy who did the work and said, " just drive the car and you'll see what I mean by loose and not turning correctly". He did and discovered that the Axel Housing was bent on the side that I hit the wall. He said they measured and the left rear was really out of wack. So its a new axel housing now too. Too bad I don't have $$$ to get moser splines and a Dana posi.

All in all i'm happy the car is going to turn right again. You always think that after a wreck your car will never be the same but that was ridiculous.:D

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Glad to see that they finally diagnosed your problem.. Yup those axle housings are pretty darn expensive. More so then the actual axles... Would be cool if they could install the Moser axles and a new diff at the same time... Of course that wont protect you from hitting things again ;) Well, we will hope that wont happen... So just stay cool and Safe!

Tom in Indy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts