Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just wanted to share my experiences with using the Frost King Duct insulation as a sound deadener. For those of you unfamiliar with the product, it is a foam based insulation with a foil top and an adhesive backing similar to Dynamat. Traditionally it is used to prevent vibrations as well as insulate air ducts. My Mustang is a 2002 GT with SLP Longtubes, Offroad X, and SLP LM1 Catback, so I DEFININTELY needed something to help block out some of the noise so I didnt have to crank the stereo up so loud when driving. I had heard alot of people talk about using Frost King Air Duct Insulation as a cheaper alternative to Dynamat and other similar products. Curious, I decided to give it a try and see how it worked. When I did my research, I concluded there were several benefits including:

1. Low Cost ($18 a Roll @ Home depot for 15 sq. ft.)
2. Lightweight when compared to "Peal and Seal" and Dynamat
3. Easy to work with (cuts easily with scissors or a razorblade)
4. No tar smell or dripping when it gets hot outside sometimes experienced with "Peal and Seal"
5. Adhesive works well as long as the surface has been cleaned, it's applied with pressure (non-buisness end of a screwdrive works well) and applied with heat.

So far I have done one layer of Frost king on the trunkfloor, underneath the rear seat, and both door panels (took 2 rolls for the trunk/rear seat and one roll for both doors). When I completed the installlation, I took it for a test drive and the results were better than what I was expecting.

First of all, when I shut the doors it has a solid thump sound instead of a higher pitched rattle. In addition, I didnt have to turn the radio up as loud to hear my music. Music even sounds better as the exhaust drone doesnt cover up the lows and mids. Now this was just my opinion, so I then took a few sound measurements to see if there was any before/after difference.

To measure how effective this was as a noise reducer, I measured the sound levels with an App for my phone. As it was with no sound deadening I measured 72db at idle. After application of the Frost King, I was suprised to see that the reading dropped to 50db at Idle.

Overall I am happy with how well it worked for the cost. I would definitely recommend Frost King Insulation for those who are on a budget and also those concerned with adding weight. I am sure dynamat would probably be more effective, however it is much heavier and also MUCH more expensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
thanks for the info. i'm building a coupe so this is perfect timing. do you think it's sticky enough to put it on the roof between the headliner?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were to add it to the headliner I would also use a 3M spray adhesive on both surfaces just to be safe since you will be battling gravity more so than placing it on a vertical surface. Make sure to still clean the area and apply it with heat and pressure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
good to know! ive heard of the peel and seal but this sounds much better

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I had gathered, the Peel and Seal smells like asphalt for a few weeks to a month and eventually goes away. Some people reported the smell coming back once the car gets hot in the summer though. I didnt want to risk it because once on, Peel and Seal would be a huge pain to remove if I didnt like it.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
How long are guys gonna keep getting scammed on this. I can put 18 pairs of shorts in my car and its gonna eliminate some sound. Do your research on REAL sound enthusiast forums and you'll see what Im talking about. For example, fatmat.com claims to have won all these sound off competitions. But did you know that the owner actually owns a roofing company and all he is doing is selling roofing material rebranded. Science is science, which is why dynamat and hushmat are so expensive. And the solid thump you hear is the thump of another 10lbs of weight added to your car

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never said Frost King was a better sound deadener than Dynamat. Dynamat works and is specifically designed for cars. It is also crazy expensive. I am on a budget and personally I would rather spend my money on performance mods as opposed to dropping a ton of cash on a Chip Foose Dynamat Job. Frost King works and is cheap. I dont have a huge sub. I am not entering any car audio competitions. I don't want a Cadillac quiet interior. I wanted something that doesn't add alot of weight, is inexpensive, and makes the interior quieter. Frost King fits my needs nicely and does what I wanted it to do. I am simply throwing out my experiences because I know there are others out there that love modding their Mustang but are on a tight budget.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW the comment above about 10lbs to the door made me curious how much Frost king weighs. One full roll weighs 1.2 lbs for 15 square feet. That's 0.08 lbs per square foot (Just for comparison dynamat is 0.3 lbs per square foot). I used 3 rolls for my trunk, rear seat, and both doors, so that's a little under 4 lbs I've used on the car total so far.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I never said Frost King was a better sound deadener than Dynamat. Dynamat works and is specifically designed for cars. It is also crazy expensive. I am on a budget and personally I would rather spend my money on performance mods as opposed to dropping a ton of cash on a Chip Foose Dynamat Job. Frost King works and is cheap. I dont have a huge sub. I am not entering any car audio competitions. I don't want a Cadillac quiet interior. I wanted something that doesn't add alot of weight, is inexpensive, and makes the interior quieter. Frost King fits my needs nicely and does what I wanted it to do. I am simply throwing out my experiences because I know there are others out there that love modding their Mustang but are on a tight budget.
You dont understand. There is no "better" here. Your comparing a thing that you put on your roof to a sound deadener. Like I said before you can put 10 layers of lets say......paper towel on your floor boards and your iphone decibel reader is gonna read less, common sense. But unless your one of the few that have midgets jumping on your roof playing a fiddle making noise then the roofing material is not for you either. Spend the money and do it right the first time. I did a search on this 1 week ago. You should read what the engineer from GM said on this subject matter, and its on this forum. Basically you wasted your money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You dont understand. There is no "better" here. Your comparing a thing that you put on your roof to a sound deadener. Like I said before you can put 10 layers of lets say......paper towel on your floor boards and your iphone decibel reader is gonna read less, common sense. But unless your one of the few that have midgets jumping on your roof playing a fiddle making noise then the roofing material is not for you either. Spend the money and do it right the first time. I did a search on this 1 week ago. You should read what the engineer from GM said on this subject matter, and its on this forum. Basically you wasted your money.
First of all, I didn't use roofing material. It's air duct insulation. Its made to adhere to metal, insulate, and reduce vibration and noise. Look it up. Secondly, it quiets my interior. I can tell a difference without the phone app. I am happy with the results and there are others out there who have tried it and are happy with it. I don't care what some GM engineer says (partly because they work for GM lol); it works. End of story. Everyones needs are different. Dynamat doesnt meet mine so thats why I wanted to try this.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
First of all, I didn't use roofing material. It's air duct insulation. Its made to adhere to metal, insulate, and reduce vibration and noise. Look it up. Secondly, it quiets my interior. I can tell a difference without the phone app. I am happy with the results and there are others out there who have tried it and are happy with it. I don't care what some GM engineer says (partly because they work for GM lol); it works. End of story. Everyones needs are different. Dynamat doesnt meet mine so thats why I wanted to try this.
We agree to disagree but if you believe that either roof material or air duct insulation works on a car as a sound deadening property then ok:idunno: and if your willing to try this then:blam:

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
Hey Solisimo, it's not your money, not your car, so why do care so much what anyone uses as a sound deadener. If the person using on their car notices a difference, then it obviously works. Just because it doesn't say dynamat and cost an arm and a leg, who cares. That's what is so great about this country, people can do as they please to their own car and nobody can stop them.

I know just enough to be dangerous & get myself in trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Hey Solisimo, it's not your money, not your car, so why do care so much what anyone uses as a sound deadener. If the person using on their car notices a difference, then it obviously works. Just because it doesn't say dynamat and cost an arm and a leg, who cares. That's what is so great about this country, people can do as they please to their own car and nobody can stop them.

I know just enough to be dangerous & get myself in trouble.
Bc when you post on a public forum that others can read then you are involving other peoples money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bc when you post on a public forum that others can read then you are involving other peoples money.
If someone wants to undertake something like this they need to evaluate what their needs are and then decide on a product that works best for them. It's their money, they can decide how to spend it. Everyone has a different opinion and very rarely is everyone on the same page. I am not twisting anyones arm to do it or claiming it's the best option out there.....simply that it is a viable option and worked.

·
11,170 Posts
I'm interested in what the GM engineer said... links?

Big picture: if there isn't much difference between Frost King, Quickroof, or Dynamat, why not buy the least expensive?

·
Registered
208 Posts
from frost kings website
Combines the properties of two popular insulating materials in one handy roll. It can be used on both heating and air-conditioning ducts, as well as on car and truck hoods and trunks.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
SOLISMO always smashes on people that do not use the brand name dynamat...

He should goto all the high end car audio sound off's and tell those guys with cement in there doors they are doing it wrong. Dynamat will cure all there problems...

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
SOLISMO always smashes on people that do not use the brand name dynamat...

He should goto all the high end car audio sound off's and tell those guys with cement in there doors they are doing it wrong. Dynamat will cure all there problems...
Show me one other thread that Ive smashed on people based on sound insulation. This is the first time I have mentioned something on the subject bc I am looking for the same product and done the research. 90% of my post are in the for sale section so before you go accusing me of something do your research like I did with your roofing/air condition material.

What irritates me the most is that others will read this and waste there money on the same crap. Instead of wasting your time and posting non sense why dont you read this article so you become educated on this matter

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

and here is a quote from someone who I shall say has more knowledge in the matter. And even discredits dynamat.

Unfortunately most of the info is false. Dynamat or asphalt based materiel like it are NOT for insulating road or exhaust noise. What you should be using is a compressed layer dampener such as Cascade Audio Engineering VB3 or VB4. Asphalt based sheets used to deaden the resonance or frequency (the amount it actually moves back and forth) of the sheet metal are typically misused. It doesn't work the way that people think it does. I've seen people pile layers of this stuff in their car and while it may quiet the car some because it's acting as somewhat of an insulator it's not the proper materiel.

And before someone calls BS on me, I worked as technical engineer for a GM division where we did NVH testing and we didn't just slather on Dynamat type material. We either made castings or casings thicker, used CLD or a different type of noise suppression that was vinyl based which was engineered for this exact purpose and is much lighter.

There is so much misinformation out there concerning this subject. My best advice is to give a call to the Technical Department at Cascade, they are an OEM level supplier and the real manufacturer for some of the well known companies such as Second Skin (which had to have been one of the biggest schemes ever).

·
11,170 Posts
I skimmed the article... sorry, but it needs to be condensed.

I think we all know that dynomat & quickroof are attenuators. I'm not sure what the article thinks it is that we don't know.

I'm dubious about articles written by someone who claims to be an engineer, then doesn't say anything scientific. And if someone describes a scientific experiment, the measured results, and creates a meaningful analysis, he/she doesn't have to play the "I'm an engineer" card. Just sayin.

BSEE California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
MSCE Santa Clara University

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are many products that work just great for things that were not for their intended purpose. If i had stock or worked for a company like Dynamat or Cascade Audio i would say that Frost King, Quickroof, peel and seal don't work or talk down about it too. It's all about the money. Companys don't like it when you find products that work for a lower price.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts