Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the front wheel bearings without replacing the front spindle? Looking at the Cobra brake kit in the FRPP Catalog, the spindle and the wheel bearing are two separate parts. I have read that they are a "unit" though, and am looking for someone who knows 100% for sure.

I've got an annoying brake chirp as the wheel rotates. I am going to start throwing parts at it, and I want to do the cheapest things first. I just did a brake job in the spring of 01, but I didn't use new rotors, I had the OE Cobra ones turned. Disk brakes R us will be getting a little of my money, but if that doesn't work, I want to be ready for what else I need.

TIA!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The wheel bearings are part of the hub which is easily removed from the spindle. The hub is retained by a large nut behind a black dust cap. PPI either has or had a great price on Fords hubs with the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are the $hite! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When you order you hubs get them with the ABS rings to save yourself the trouble of having them moved over from your old hubs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
How do you get the torque back up there to what 210-250 or something? I will have to buy a 3/4" torque wrench I think. My 1/2" wrench only goes to 150 and that takes about all I got to get there

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ok So if I get the wheel hubs what will I have to do as far as installation for the Hubs/wheel bearings??? I saw some tallk about a ring but dont know what the heack you guys are talking about!! LOL

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Try this:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130069&highlight=wheel+bearings

I used a Haynes manual and just followed the directions. If you have ABS, I wouldn't mess with PPI's hubs; I'd just get a set from a dealer. Kimnach Ford in Norfolk VA sells them for $70.00. These come with the ABS ring on them. The ones from PPI don't have the ABS ring on them and they still cost $50. This means you have to pay a machine shop to press the old rings off the old hubs and on the new hubs.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ok retail on the Hubs from any delear is 69.02. Luckily I know a guy that owns a shop in town and I can use his delear discount. So I got them for 55.22 a piece!! NOT TOO SHABBY!! This is the hubs with bearings and ABS rings. Thanks for you guys help!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts