Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most of you guys seems to have problems getting air through your main vents. Some people think that it is a hose problem or a leak somewhere within the system. Well this past weekend, as I installed my CD Player, I figured out why the air is not flowing right. Right behind the vents, there is a solid plastic flap that opens/closes. When your selector is at "VENT", this flap should open up, which then in turns directs the flow of air through your main vents. Now when you select the "front defrost" position, then that flap will close so that the air will blow to the front winshield. So I think that there is either a faulty mechanism or maybe a blown fuse somewhere that actually controls this flap. Try this......
put your air selector to VENT, and feel the air near the front windshield. Then put your selector to "Front defroster" and you will notice that the air is still flowing through the windshield. So after all this writing, when your selector is at "VENT", it's like it was at "front defroster". Give it a try and you will notice that the air flow doesn't change from these two position. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The problem is that the air works fine for a several minutes/hours, however all of a sudden the air will become noticeably weaker as it flows out the vents. This will happen for several minutes/hours. The cure is to turn the car off for several hours before the system will work as it should.

I tried what you described, but did not get much any air from defrost vents when the knob is set to VENT. I did a half ass job testing it, so i will take a more significant test tomorrow to see how it goes. If the tests change, I will post another result, if not, I will not update this reply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The common answer from most users is that there is a broken vacuum line, and these lines are located near the firewall, aside the Master Cylinder. I still haven't fixed this problem. With Summer here, i feel pressure on trying to resolve this ASAP, plus i need to refill my AC system with new refrigerant.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds like a common problem; definitly a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner on all the vacuum lines to find the leak. If there's a leak at one particular spot, the engine should rev.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have similar problem, all heat and air goes to the defroster vents. Nothing comes out anything else. Was going to have a buddy who is a mechanic look at it. Does anybody know what needs to be fixed and what the part is called.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check the vacuum hoses under the hood on the driver side at the tree looking thing mine was leaking from there and it also helped cure my surging idle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I finally got my front vents to work. it was the 1/8 inch vacuum line near the firewall. My line broke so i went to Autozone an bought a 1FT vacuum line and worked great.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm not happy with the solutions thus far. I've already checked the vac lines under the hood and i still have the same problem.

TTT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts