Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did a SN 95 front 5 lug coversion on my 91 foxbody. I didnt upgrade the brake booster/ master cylinder nor did I put disc brakes on the rear. I just did the front. I got all the air out the brake lines and have to pump the brakes 2 or 3 times for them to work. The rear work but not the front. There is no sign of a leak from the calipers and no sign of fluid being used from the resivor. I used the sn95 banjo bolts and also tried the stock fox banjos. the sn95's worked a little better but still dont work worth the crap. I stumped, can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are from a 94 gt

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
If you have to pump them to get a pedal - then the odds are good there's still air in the system. Did you cap the master cylinder reservoir so no air could enter the vent from the top while you have the brake lines open? If not -- and you ran the reservoir dry -- odds are good you'll have to bench bleed the M/C to get all the air out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
X 3 for air in the lines, and probably the master cylinder. You need to get the air out of that master cylinder first, then work out to your calipers/wheel cylinders. I am sure you know this, but after you get the m/c bled, start with the wheel cylinder farthest away from the m/c (normally passenger rear), then the drivers rear, then passenger front, then drivers front. Make sure you don't run the m/c dry or too low when you are bleeding each wheel. If you still have to pump the brakes, look for a break in your lines...one of the caliper lines to the hard lines in front. Maybe they didn't get tightened properly. Recheck everything.....brakes are a non-negotiable commodity!

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Also, make sure you put the front calipers on the correct sides of the car. Too many people to count have put them on the wrong side, upside down, because they'll mount that way and look perfectly fine and unless they knew better, there's no reason to think anything's wrong. But the bleeder is no longer up near the top where it needs to be, so they never get all the air out of the calipers.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Aside from the air and proper caliper postion issues, even after you have those things corrected you still may have a soft pedal. The 94 GT caliper is a cast iron single 66mm pistion design. The stock caliper uses a 60mm piston. With the stock M/C designed for the smaller caliper, your pedal should be long and soft, even with all of the air out of the system.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my 9 year old son help me bleed so that may be my problem. Lol! The MC was never ran dry so I should be good there. The calipers are on the correct side with the bleeder screw up and I have no leaks in the system even though I didn't replace the crush washers, no leaks. I'll bleed the entire system with the help font wife which has helped me on other cars so she knows what she's doing. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
When I first put 95 GT brakes on the front of my 90 the pedal feel was crap with the original master cylinder, even with the brakes bled properly. I installed a 93 Cobra MC, gutted the stock proportioning valve, and installed an adjustable Wilwood valve to dial in the front/rear bias. With those changes the pedal feel is great. So as stated above the problem may be an undersized MC. Still I'd bleed the system 1 more time just to make sure air isn't your problem.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I went a head and got new crush washers and bled the system correctly so the pedal is good now well as good as it will get with 2 wheel disc. Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts