Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a weird issue. Did a search, couldn't find much. Started hearing a clunk from the front end. Took wheels off, everything seems tight. But noticed the front struts are loose at the strut tower. You can actually grab the nut & bolt where they penetrate the strut tower and wiggle each of the front struts. I take it this is not normal?!!? The nut is tight and won't go any tighter.

We first noticed the clunk after replacing the front struts with Bilsteins. Pretty much everything in the front end is new (springs, sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends) and the control arm bushings are in good shape.

When we installed the front struts, there was a little confusion and I believe we left the factory bump stops on. Understand now that Bilsteins have integral bump stops. Should we remove them? Will this solve our issue?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
When we installed the front struts, there was a little confusion and I believe we left the factory bump stops on. Understand now that Bilsteins have integral bump stops. Should we remove them? Will this solve our issue?
Yes, remove the factory bumpstops. As you noted, the Bilsteins have internal bumpstops.

As to your problem I assume you are using a factory upper strut mount plate? If so, my guess is that you ran out of thread engagement before the strut was tight. Since you need to remove the facory bumpstops, use a spacer - maybe .5" or so on the strut rod and try again. Or now is a good time to buy some CC plates and install the spacers according to instructions.

If you are using CC plates, you may have to space them up a little more; don't forget to use a spacer under the plate on the strut rod too.

For example, here is the top of my Bils showing a spacer plus the CC plates spaced up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that we are using the factory upper strut mount plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts