Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:mad: I just had to put my stock fan back on, which i had replaced with a Black magic electric because my car sounds like a UPS truck with the stock fan. I am the only person with the stock fan in place that i know that has this problem. what the hell is that all about? i have friends with bone stock stangs....no noise, built up stangs....no noise. anyone know what might cause my gale force winds sounding engine. is there a reverse rotation fan or something?? am i retarded? what do horse shoes do? are there horse socks? :curses:
i have stock fan, stock clutch(new to replace the OLD noisy one...oh well) are there any good blowing, quiet flex fans? this car is embarrasing me it sounds like an 89 chevy S10 blazer. HELP!!!!:barf:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am counting to 5 and then your gonna get it!!:livid:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like

A seized fan clutch. My Cougar was like that when I first bought it. Replaced the clutch with a factory ford one (75.00!!!!!!!) no noise now except when hot. You're using the factory seven blade plastic reverse rotation fan right? If you're using a standard rotation fan, you will get that noise since the fan blows backwards. You'd also be overheating quite frequently.

Oh, just read the last paragraph. What kind of clutch did you replace it with? A new ford one or a crappy remanufactured one? Also, check your water pump. If your water pump bearings are on their way out, it could cause vibration on the pulley and cause your new fan clutch to wear out in short order. A flex fan is only going to be noisier, especially when it flattens out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You wanna know why its noisy?
are there any good blowing, quiet flex fans? this car is embarrasing
BINGO! No matter what you do a FLEX FAN will always be noisy. If you want one thats not noisy, i'd go a a wrecker and grab one off another car witha 5.0 (try for a crown vic 5.8, they had heavy duty fans)

Trevor

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i have the stock fan, the clutch is new thermal from autozone. it is just as noisy as the clutch it replaced before i went electric( went back to stock cause elec. fan cant keep up in heat)
Should i go with the non thermal? and which comes stock? thermal or non thermal?

thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just about every aftermarket fan clutch that I've run across has been tighter in the "free" mode than the Motorcraft clutch. This leads to excess fan noise. I finally learned to buy the Motorcraft part and no more problems with noise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good info, thanks. i should have known better, should have gone motorcraft:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Out of all the posts on here bashing the Black Magic... why do people continue to try to fight the truth.

If you want to go electric, go with what the Ford Engineers used to solve the problem. The Electic fan from either a Lincolin Mark VIII or an SN95+ mustang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts