Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how it started,

I let someone drive my car with the new motor in(IM the passenger) and we get back to his street and right before we get in the driveway it stalls. Couldnt get it started again and couldnt here the inline pump or intank pump kick on. So the next day I figured out I wasnt getting spark to the plugs nor would my fan come on with the switch I had rigged to turn it on without the motor running. I discovered the wired from my MSD 6AL that go to the coil and wiring harness had melted to the header and actually exposed the wires from one of the hot wires. I took the MSD out and hooked up the stock ignition...nothing. So after doing some reading I think its either my PCM or my CCRM which contains my PCM, fan, and fuel pump relays. NOne of the fuses are blown. I figured Id blown a fuse before Id blow the computer or relay box. Any advice or troubleshooting tips are GREATLY! appriciated!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on. Check for shorted wires on the manifold around the heater tubes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the check engine light doesnt come on. I forgot to mention I couldnt perform the dashboard illumination code scan or the multimeter method becasue nothing ever happened. All wired looked good except the ones that went to my MSD ignition box, which I fixed by hooking my stock ignition back up. Headlights, heater motor, door chime, turn signals, stereo...all work. Just cant get spark from plugs, fuel pump, or fan switch to come on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive checked all of them about 4 times...even with a voltmeter. All them are good and have power except for the fan control monitor (10amps) which shows no obvious signs of blowout. The fuse for the PCM is 20amps. Thanks for trying to help though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
sounds like a pcm problem. burnt wires from msd,no check engine light, all fuses are good and have power, yea pcm, but not 100%.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats my thought too brian. But the PCM sends "stuff" to the CCRM which is nothing more than a relay box that contains relays for the PCM, fuel pump, EDF control, EDF, HEDF, and A/C clutch control. If this box was burnt then all that stuff wouldnt work.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The constant control relay module is gonna cost you at a ford dealer. You should have it tested first, ford service dept should have the tool that will test the ccrm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea Im sure its not cheap. I bet its cheaper than a new PCM though!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody else?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Im screwed. None of the dealerships around here will test my CCRM. They all say the same thing "sir, you'll just need to drop your car off to us for us to really get to the root of the problem". IM SCREWED!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I don't think the CCRM is all that expensive. I seem to recall I priced one at a local Ford dealer and it was like $100. Another thing is try a junkyard. I know Walt's Used Auto Parts on Rt. 68 just south of Springfield has a lot of late model stuff and it isn't too far from you. It's between Young's Dairy at Yellow Springs and I-70. Good Luck! BTW: Did you check the FP relay in the trunk?
Don

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, the CCRM is like $125 orsomething.Whats the chance a local junk yard has one?.....none! I think I just need to save my money so I can take it to a dealeship

·
Registered
713 Posts
i just fried my eec also, the easiest way to be sure it was fried
was putting my old speed denisty eec in the car. fired right up!
but you will still have spark whether the eec is fried or not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think my eec is shot to and I tried to put on my old speed density eec but it wouldn't start I think because of the 42#inj. are to big.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldnt think ford would design something to be vulnerble like this. I would think would have blown a fuse or something first. How do you think you guys blew your computers?

·
Registered
368 Posts
any time you have a shorted in the engine wirring harness you have a good chance of hurting the pcm. Get a hold of a wirring diagram and test for power at the ccrm and pcm. the last 95 5.0 i had shorted an injector wire and keept blowing the eec fuse. but I ended up replaceing the pcm cause it fried the injector drive module inside the pcm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At the CCRM I got power on about half the wires that go to it. I havnt checked for power at the PCM yet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
just for the heck of it. check out the ignition switch. it might have started to melt. maybe a fuse link? its been a while since ive worked on a 5.0. and i wont have accses to an evtm till I get to work tomorow. So just check everything real close. inside the car and outside for burnt wires, power or ground wires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your help Brian. By the ignition switch do you mean the wires and such in the steering column and drivers side dash? Thats the only place I can think of to search.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts