Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been reading this forum and doing little things to my car as I go. I think it’s come to the point where I’ll do my part and contribute to the forum.

It is going on a year now that I came across a very abused 2004 Mustang gt. The car on the outside was in ok shape, but that’s about it. So far I have replaced everything in the front end, installed coil-overs all around, blah blah blah the basic for suspension. Needles to say it was much needed. I had the car for about 2 months at this point and I had a 10% of code burning my email up, so I ordered a supercharger. I went with a Vortech v3 blower because of it seemed simple and would work for me and the goals I had for the car. I also got the needed parts to put it on injectors, pump, and maf. Got the tune loaded and tweaked... boy was I very impressed.

Fast forward a few months after the blower installation my brother in law wants to replace his motor in his crown Vic. Now, I have a complete 4.6 in my shop just hanging out. This seems like a perfect time to build a motor and add some boost. I know this is nothing new to most of you and I’m sure many threads are here talking about all this already, but I felt I needed to contribute here.

So far my plan is to get a rods and pistons kit from mhs. It comes with k1 rods and wiseco pistons/rings. I’ll also be getting their stage 2.5 blower cams, but maybe their stage 2... not sure yet. Going to be running factory ported heads with an edelbrock intake on top. Going to up my injectors from 47’s to either 60’s or 80’s and add an intercooler and change out the maf to a blow through. Not sure if I will change the fuel system to a return style at this point because of my hp goals, but it’s not off my list. I’m basically looking for 100-120 more hp from where I’m at now for now. I know I’ll change that later on, but honestly my pocket won’t let me go much more at this time. I want to build what I can afford and it still be dependable.

I hope this thread will help keep me motivated on this project and if anyone feels I need to change anything or has secrets to share please let me know. This will be my very first 4.6 build and this is the first 4.6 I have ever owned, so I’m new to this. Also please don’t kill me if I say something dumb or if I talk about stuff y’all already know. I hope to have all this done to my car by November because I really want to take it to mod nationals. It seems fun and something me and my brother in law can go to. Thanks everyone for having me and sorry for such the long post. Oh and I’ll post some pictures up as I go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Like the project. I'm in a similar boat with buying a pretty beat up 00 gt. I'm stock piling parts and i'm also starting with a suspension refresh first. Sounds like you're having fun with the v3 setup. After lots of debate with myself i'm going the trick flow head route. Anyways, good to see someone posting here. This place is so dead nowadays. Most are on Facebook now.

where you at?
I'm in Colorado

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The v3 is nice not going to lie, but I was planing on doing what you are with the tfs kit. If I wouldn’t have need for the 10% off of everything I would have done the same as you. That kit is nice in my opinion. Most people honestly don’t need more than that. Yes everyone always wants more, but that’s a good combo to make good power. Not to start that whole debate of what’s better or anything lol.

I don’t do Facebook or anything like that, so this will be where I’m posting. I am always told I’m missing out on car groups, but I just ain’t a fan of fb.

I’m from the Tennessee area and unfortunately I don’t know anyone personally that I can talk to about these cars. Most people where I’m from do the ls swap on everything including me, but I’m keeping this a 2v 4.6. I think it’s fun messing around with people and they find out it’s just a 2v. Not saying I’m the fastest on the street or anything, but it’s surprising what this car will do for what little I’m in it for.

Thanks for posting though. I know I’m new here and vet members don’t know me, but I’m a true performance guy at heart. I can’t ever leave anything stock for long. I actually had parts for this car before I even bought it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some parts this week and the motor has been pulled apart ready for the machine shop. As soon as they tell me what the block and crank needs I’ll be ordering the rods, pistons, and bearings.

Also was advised to go with the stage 2 blower cams, I’ll be ordering the top end parts next month. Trying to save and pay as I go rather than spending a ton all at the same time. Still not set on the headers or clutch yet, but got the rest of my rear suspension lined out. Ready to start seeing some progress on this build!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here’s a few pictures of when I got the car before I did anything to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That’s about all I got for now. When I started doing this project I didn’t think I would post about it on a forum because these cars are all over the forums already. I know it’s nothing special, but maybe it might help someone out there so I figured why not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone on here have experience with Doug’s Headers? Found a set of ceramic coated long tubes from them for less than 300 new. They have a 3/8 flange 1 5/8 primary tubes and a 3” slip collector.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love the progress - coil overs and V3 look good. My build is very similar. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking good. What are your rear coil over specs (MM shock? What spring rates rear and front?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the progress - coil overs and V3 look good. My build is very similar. Let me know if you have any questions.
thank you very much. I wish I was already done with it, but it’s been a fun process. Honestly I have spent more time doing research on what I should buy or if I can make something myself than I have working on the car. If I didn’t have to research something for a month before I buy it I would probably be done with it by now.

also I’m sure I will be asking you some questions if you are ok with it. It’s nice to have someone else’s personal experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking good. What are your rear coil over specs (MM shock? What spring rates rear and front?).
Thank you very much. The car has definitely changed a ton from when I first got it that’s for sure. I don’t know if you can tell from the pictures, but the guy had it extremely low before and with cut lowering springs. I honestly don’t know how he kept tires on it from the way the wheels were angled from being out of alignment so bad. The suspension work has definitely helped that a lot.

As for the setup, the front is strange struts and coil over kit 12” spring 175#. The rear is koni shock and mm coil overs. I think they were 200# or 225#. I found the rears on eBay a guy posted them new never installed. The bid was 250 and no one else other than me made a bid so I got them for nothing almost and can’t complain about the ride at all.

Now the front is another story. They ride just fine but when it’s colder it sounds like they are about 109 years old. I didn’t see the complaints on the strange struts until I installed them and was like what the heck then googled it. That’s pretty much what got me here. They ride nice easy to adjust, but they can be annoying if you got the radio off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts