Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my fresh bored .030 over block coming back from the machine shop.

he did the cam bearings, screw in front oil galley plugs , freeze plugs, all cleaned up , decked square, bored with torque plates, and mains lined honed with arp studs.

it's got DSS .030 forged flat tops, stock rods and crank, all polished and checked out.

I'm wanting to tape it off and paint the outside the block , and then put it up for a while, couple or 3-4 months until I get everything else together for the build and install in my 88.

whats a good way to prep the block for paint, and whats a good way to store the block after paint.? it will be indoors over the winter, but I dont want to have to wash the whole block again before it gets built?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd say clean the block with some good degreaser & then rubbing it down with rubbing alcohol or paint prep spray/wipes. Then paint it. Then I'd spray it all with wd40 an put it in an engine bag.

That's what I did with my bare tensed block. Had it like that for over a year without issues.

Sent from my EVO

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok sounds good,I just didnt want to have to wash it again after storage time, now to figure out the color, the hard part ,, lol.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and its not a short block yet, I've got to measure for bearings still.. I'm going to build it myself, yee-haa!!:D lol, for my first short block build, so would the WD-40 be ok to use all thru the block, and the cam bearings so it can sit a few months till I round up all the other stuff I need

or would it be better to measure for the bearings, get them and build just the short block, spray it down , then put it up for a few months, just dont want to have to do any major washing of the block before I get to use it ? or worse, build it, an let it sit and get rusty, or ruined,Thanks

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
Your thinking to hard. If it was washed properly its devoid of oils and is ready for paint. You go and start spraying wd40 all over it, the paint will not adhere deep into the iron.

Paint it, then wipe the cylinders and deck with a cloth that has wd40 on it.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your thinking to hard. If it was washed properly its devoid of oils and is ready for paint. You go and start spraying wd40 all over it, the paint will not adhere deep into the iron.

Paint it, then wipe the cylinders and deck with a cloth that has wd40 on it.

yea it sounds like John does a pretty good job,the owner of the shop LOL, its easy to over think this junk some times, :idunno:. I'd rather be sure than make a noob mistake, an turn my junk, into JUNK, LOL

I've got my cam I'm using, I could put that in with assembly lube, and that'd take care of the cam bearings being protected,

do you have a preference on the kind of engine paint, I'm wanting to go with Ford blue

Thanks for the info Jim

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
The cam bearings could sit for 100 years and look the same as today, no need to slide the cam in. As for paint, I use duplicolor, dark ford blue. They have a few ford blues, but dark is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cam bearings could sit for 100 years and look the same as today, no need to slide the cam in. As for paint, I use duplicolor, dark ford blue. They have a few ford blues, but dark is beautiful.
Sweet!! Thanks gotcha, I'll post up mine when I get it painted.:drool:
hope it looks half that good!

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it, Sharp man !!!!

that takes all the guess work out of it, Thank ya !!

yes I'll post it up when I getter done :p :D

did you guys ever hear about the 4.030 tapered ring compressor from speedway motors, its 27 bucks shipped, and looks pretty good.

beats the heck out of that nice ARP one for 60 or 70 shipped, I just ordered one for my assembly,

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
NVM I found it.

If the block is prepped correct meaning free of all oils that paint will stuck fiercely. I wash my blocks at 215-220 degrees for 1-2 hrs and there isnt a lick of oil left in the iron and when I paint using that duplicolor, it aint coming off. Really good stuff actually. I have done 100's of blocks with it.

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
I found it, Sharp man !!!!

that takes all the guess work out of it, Thank ya !!

yes I'll post it up when I getter done :p :D

did you guys ever hear about the 4.030 tapered ring compressor from speedway motors, its 27 bucks shipped, and looks pretty good.

beats the heck out of that nice ARP one for 60 or 70 shipped, I just ordered one for my assembly,
I have not used them but im sure they are the same without the name and price tag. Tapered compressors are the best period

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, I've got my block painted, dark Ford blue, Duplicolor,, and it looks Great !

they primed the block, and put brass freeze plugs, i was going to try an save them from the paint, John said to use Vaseline on them, but I just said the heck with it, and painted them,

Looks Great !! I didn't have a clean oil pan, so I just put a trim of masking tape, an used news paper to cover everything,,

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
heres the painted ones, I'm leaving the masking on for a week, the paint can said the paint fully cures in 7 days, so I'll take it off Sat, and wipe down the cylinders with WD.

next thing John said he checked the bearing clearances, and supplied me new Clevite bearings, I'm going to take my time and measure up everything myself, per Woodys Site SBFbuilding . Thanks man

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's late, but the few times I've painted an engine, I just opened the garage door and hosed it down with 2 cans of starting fluid. Rotating it on the stand. Be carefull with fresh paint job until the engine has gone tru a few heat cycles. After it sets up really good after a few heat cycles, I could spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner on it and nothing ran.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
wouldnt that newpaper still allow moisture in?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yes it would, I just left it on for a week,

i decided to coat the bores, and lifter bores in the STP oil treatment, that stuff is Thick, blew out the stuff from the newspapers, they shed a lot .. and put a decent layer in them,looks real good.

put the engine bag back on from the shop, tied it up good, and wrapped a huge sheet around it pretty snug, and tied another bag over it, air tight.

kinda like insulating it, with a vapor barrier, like wrapping duct,, I'll check it after the new year comes in, but that STP sticks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
looks good for being done in 2004 LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts