Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I used to have an account here but I havent had a fox for a bit and forgot my password...

I really need help, I just finished a 331 stroker on my 88 notch ex georgia police interceptor. When I purchased the car it was a 306 with edelbrock performer intake and heads, 24lb injectors with matching maf, bbk shorties and 5 speed with a A9M and older chip.

I dropped the new motor after having it honed and boiled by the machine shop, I rebuilt the heads with new valves (due to damage after the 306 gave way), it has new bearings and I have the scat 331 kit, I put a set of long tubes on. After dropping the motor in and getting it all buttoned up I was able to start the motor and it ran strong however there was alot of smoke and oil smell, at first I thought it was the rings seating but it has not gotten better. I went through 2 qts of oil in the past day just running it to set the timing and take a run around the block. I have done some searching and realized I have oil in the vacuum lines, I took off the upper intake and found about a half quart of oil in the intake. The pcv valve also had oil and no screen, the only modification I did to the intake was a bbk half inch intake spacer but it has no egr hole in the center, the egr has been bypassed on this vehicle, any idea if the center egr hole would make more vacuum to the intake? Thank you!

· Registered
920 Posts
Only a few reasons I can think of why that would do that. The valve seals were not put on the valve stems. The intake gaskets are not sealed tight against the heads and intake. Broken rings in one or more cylinders. I am sure others will chime in.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Going through that much oil I would think there must be an external leak somewhere?
How did you seal the front and rear ends of the lower intake? lower intake should have a baffle installed under pcv valve but that wouldn't explain 2qts. a day!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed a magazine article on a 331 build, the intake and block were dimpled on the ends for the intake gasket, no exterior leaks, I was meticulous with the ring installation and followed the manufacturer's instructions to a T. The only place oil is coming out is the exhaust, how would valve seals cause oil in the upper intake and vacuum system? The oil baffle is in place on the intake, the 2 quarts used was only from start and warm up and one trip around the block. The intake spacer I bought has no opening in the center for the egr however the egr has been bypassed since I bought the car, Would that would cause increased vacuum?

· Registered
920 Posts
Without a catch can in between the intake and the pcv valve you will always have some oil in the there. You would be amazed how much oil can be pulled through the intake valve guides if there are no seal present. I have seen it done on a sbc and that thing chugged oil bad under moderate and high vacuum.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would the intake gasket or valve seals cause oil I'm the UPPER intake? I sucked 2 quarts through the upper intake and vacuum lines just idling after build and driving one square block. This really has me stumped, I did take the upper intake off to check the gaskets and found that the lifter spider had worked it's way loose. I'm really hoping you guys with more knowledge than me can help solve this issue before I try new gaskets and a pcv filter and valve. Thank you for the help!

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Would the intake gasket or valve seals cause oil I'm the UPPER intake? I sucked 2 quarts through the upper intake and vacuum lines just idling after build and driving one square block. This really has me stumped, I did take the upper intake off to check the gaskets and found that the lifter spider had worked it's way loose. I'm really hoping you guys with more knowledge than me can help solve this issue before I try new gaskets and a pcv filter and valve. Thank you for the help!
Upper intake would mean one of the vacuum lines is sucking up oil, either at the valve covers (shouldn't see intake vacuum ever) or the pcv.

Can you take pictures of all the vacuum line routing for us to see?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.