Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get some opinions on the situation of my foxbody. Has a couple rust holes and wanna know if it’s worth fixing. It has 2 quarter panels rusted. Has a pin hole in the passenger strut tower. Some holes in the driver side door jamb. And the last hole is under the car around the rear passenger side bumper mount. And the the door have surface rust at the bottom. Should I save it or should I bite the bullet.
3C11640C-33A0-4049-9C3B-2BDEBD269828.jpeg
7515D44E-B53C-479B-B978-6D68496A210F.jpeg
93CD7759-05E5-4157-9ECE-B09DA473621B.jpeg
F63CE8A2-3117-4D25-BFD9-7CFB4FF168DA.jpeg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes it's fixable, but you really have to love that car, and body style. The whole cars paint will need to be removed, and all the rust cut out, then new sheet metal welded in. You'll need to spray the entire body in Epoxy primer afterwards to prevent rust from destroying the car again. You'll also need to avoid driving in salt ever again, because that will be thousands of dollars in restoration flushed down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That shock tower is going to get really ugly when you start digging into it. There's actually 3 layers of sheetmetal pinch welded together right there. To do it right you need to drop the k-member, and once your in, you'll probably find the frame rail in need of sectional replacement as it's part of the 3 pieces of sheetmetal pinch welded.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There is the rust you can see, and the rust you can't see. Looking at the car I am willing to bet there is a lot more rust hidden in the cowl area and around the windshield. When the door area looks like that, the cowl usually is the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would drive it until I thought it would break in half or, call it a parts car.

If you love it it can be fixed, but replacement maybe cheaper/easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It won't be easy, but it is fixable. Between scott rod fabrications and LMR you can get the rust repair panels to fix it. I have used Scott Rod's kit for the strut tower. With some fab skills and welding skills you can fix it. Just takes time and money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to get some opinions on the situation of my foxbody. Has a couple rust holes and wanna know if it’s worth fixing. It has 2 quarter panels rusted. Has a pin hole in the passenger strut tower. Some holes in the driver side door jamb. And the last hole is under the car around the rear passenger side bumper mount. And the the door have surface rust at the bottom. Should I save it or should I bite the bullet. View attachment 1053767 View attachment 1053764 View attachment 1053765 View attachment 1053766
If you live in snow country and they salt your roads don't bother to fix if you intend to drive it in the winter months.
I owned a 90 GT and I never even drove it in the rain and its a California car.
The Foxes seem to attract water and trap it in hard to dry out places.
I see you love the car, but don't throw good money after bad.
Maybe you could save some of the good stuff off the car and find another Fox that wouldn't require so much attention.
BTW, I loved my GT as well, but sold it when I moved to a home that had less garage space.
I couldn't bare to have it outside at night or when not being driven.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts