Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 4 lug, when going to disc do you have to use the north Racecar caliper bracket or is this a factory bracket that works?

·
Registered
32 Posts
what calipers? the NRC brackets are for bigger calipers, while keeping fox length axles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When in doubt make your own

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
The 11.65" rotors are 5-lug. If you want 4-lug, you are using the 93 Cobra rear disk setup which is a 10.1" rotor.

The north race car brackets (or the LRS brackets) are for keeping the stock offset 4-lug axles and mounting the disk brakes. If you wanted to use the OEM brackets, you'd need to track down a set from a 87-88 turbo coupe or 93 cobra, and then find the matching axle from the same vehicle.

If you want the 11.65" rotors, you'll want to buy the appropriate axle bracket for cobra rear disk from NRC/LMR, and redrill the rotors for 4-lug to use the stock axles. You may need spacer rings between the axle hub and the rotor inner hub ring as the diameters may not be the same. Using such a large rear rotor with stock front brakes would be undesirable as you ideally want your setup to be a matched, balanced setup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Or make your own kit. I am 4 lug with 11.8" front rotor and 11.33" vented rears. 16" rims are now required, 15's will rub on the rear. Mine are redrilled Lincoln LS rotors, I am using the calipers and pads from the LS as well. Rear calipers are almost identical to SN95s except piston is 43mm instead of 38mm on SN95s. Fronts are 45 and 38mm pistons compared to twin 45's on PBRs. Pads are bigger surface area in the rear with the LS pads.

IMG_0458.JPG

To mount the calipers I made my own brackets using the SN bracket as a template and a scrap piece of 5/8" plate I had laying around. Bracket mounts to outside flange of stock axle housing. Reasoning is LS rotor is MUCH shallower than SN, T-bird and 93 Cobra rotors

IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0462.JPG

Then I ran into a fellow member of a Mustang website here in Canada who was building his own version of the North brackets and had access to a waterjet cutter and had already scanned the factory bracket into the software. We discussed and he cut me a modified version of the stock bracket with the caliper mount holes moved away from axle shaft centerline 17mm. He cut me a pair from 5/8"...

IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0513.JPG

During final fitting I needed a little bit of shimming so I welded a pair of washers on and ground them down until I was happy with centering the caliper.

If I wanted to go real crazy I could change to a 12.83" rear vented rotor but would definitely need 17" 4-lug wheels for that.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I have not bought any thing yet. I do want the 11.65 rotors
if you want 5 lug cobra setup then you can just take the stock rear SN95 brake bracket, cut it and mount it on the inside of the rear end bracket, which will give you the stock offset

search there's been few write ups

Reactions: kruiser

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Or make your own kit. I am 4 lug with 11.8" front rotor and 11.33" vented rears. 16" rims are now required, 15's will rub on the rear. Mine are redrilled Lincoln LS rotors, I am using the calipers and pads from the LS as well. Rear calipers are almost identical to SN95s except piston is 43mm instead of 38mm on SN95s. Fronts are 45 and 38mm pistons compared to twin 45's on PBRs. Pads are bigger surface area in the rear with the LS pads.

View attachment 1064062

To mount the calipers I made my own brackets using the SN bracket as a template and a scrap piece of 5/8" plate I had laying around. Bracket mounts to outside flange of stock axle housing. Reasoning is LS rotor is MUCH shallower than SN, T-bird and 93 Cobra rotors

View attachment 1064063 View attachment 1064064 View attachment 1064065

Then I ran into a fellow member of a Mustang website here in Canada who was building his own version of the North brackets and had access to a waterjet cutter and had already scanned the factory bracket into the software. We discussed and he cut me a modified version of the stock bracket with the caliper mount holes moved away from axle shaft centerline 17mm. He cut me a pair from 5/8"...

View attachment 1064066 View attachment 1064067

During final fitting I needed a little bit of shimming so I welded a pair of washers on and ground them down until I was happy with centering the caliper.

If I wanted to go real crazy I could change to a 12.83" rear vented rotor but would definitely need 17" 4-lug wheels for that.
Curious about that LS caliper. The pads look more like the D347 profile used on the 93 Cobra 45mm caliper. I wanted to use that caliper rather than the 38mm version just for the larger pad. But, the 45mm wouldn't fit the Cobra axle mount. Is the LS pad profile D599 or? So how different is the homemade LS caliper mount from the stock sn95 mount?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So how different is the homemade LS caliper mount from the stock sn95 mount?
Essentially the caliper mount holes are moved 17mm further away from axle centerline to use the Lincoln rotor (11.3"). If using a Cobra rear rotor it would need to move a bit more. Same spacing. Actually the Lincoln caliper will bolt up to the stock SN95 bracket. If I wanted to I could use a SN95 caliper and pad. If you want to keep your existing rotor with the LS caliper, I think you could simply swap onto your current set up, maybe a shim would be needed.

I am not familiar with the profile numbers you listed.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I am not familiar with the profile numbers you listed.
The pad profile is a quick reference tool designed by FMSI. It helps to identify pad shapes that might be used across different caliper brands. The D347 profile used on the Varga 45mm caliper typically seen on the 93 Cobra and TB Turbo Coupe among others, looks very similar to the LS 43mm caliper pad. I was curious what the FMSI number was.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just looked them up on rockauto. It looks like they are D806.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
99 Posts
This one is way over my head but I'd like to ask just a simple question since it sounds like this thread is well versed in brakes for fox mustangs... I've got a 90 LX and I do have the V-8 front spindles, I also plan in upgrading to an 8.8 when fundage allows it.. I want to stick with a maximum size wheel of 15in ( I love the old style 10 hole wheels!) What's the best effort I can upgrade my brakes with a 15 in wheel limitation??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Part of the answer would be what caliper you would use. In my case I have an 11.33" rear disc that when I was building this system I test fit my 15" GT turbine rims. They went on but the caliper was rubbing. I would think 11" to maybe 11.25" would be as big as you can go with 15" rims.

I am assuming your car was originally a 4 cylinder and you are still sporting the stock 7.5 rear. Used 8.8's are usually fairly cheap ($200-300) for a complete stock rear end. I would start there and swap it over a weekend and continue to enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks!! I appreciate the input!! Now I've gotten an idea of what the limits will be on the sizes! I gotta lots to do on it this winter, so maybe the 8.8 swap will be a springtime project!!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This one is way over my head but I'd like to ask just a simple question since it sounds like this thread is well versed in brakes for fox mustangs... I've got a 90 LX and I do have the V-8 front spindles, I also plan in upgrading to an 8.8 when fundage allows it.. I want to stick with a maximum size wheel of 15in ( I love the old style 10 hole wheels!) What's the best effort I can upgrade my brakes with a 15 in wheel limitation??
On my 86, I swapped to the 87+ spindle and used the 11" rotor with stock (then SVO) caliper, matched with the SSBC rear disc conversion which uses a 45mm Varga caliper and 10.25" vented rotor. I ran the stock 15" 4-lug "phone dial" rims for years with this set-up. The funny piece is that I did this swap in early '91 way before 4-wheel discs on Fox Mustangs was the norm (at that time the SVO was the only Mustang with 4-wheel discs but it had 5-lugs). Every time I took the car in for an alignment or tire rotation, the techs were amazed that an '86 GT Fox, 4-lug wheel had 4-wheel discs. The typical question was - "what option" or "was this a special option." Needless to say, I had lots of fun with those guys.
Short answer is, stay with the 11" or similar front rotor and a stockish profile caliper and 93 Cobra/TB Turbo Coupe rear discs and run the 15" wheels.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh way cool!! I'll really keep this in mind and research it out! Thanks for the advice!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts