Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Finally have my car together after a few years. 1990 LX, Ford Stroker's Dart 363 9:1, T-56, etc. I have always had the plan to turbo the car, a single 76mm, something streetable. I have a reliable shop that has done all of the work on the car which I trust. That being said, wanted to see what the experts here have to say regarding a turbo kit. With the pushrod turbo kits the way they are, the shop has recommended to piece together a custom kit. Problem is I have no way of knowing where their numbers are coming in. Before going in and talking to them, I wanted to get some feedback if others have had a kit fabbed.

What was the ballpark cost for the kit? Did that include installation? How much into a fuel system? What was your "out the door" cost? I know a lot of this is subjective with labor costs, but just trying to get some idea for those of us having a shop the leg work. Anyone else who has had a shop fab up a kit and can chime in, any input is much appreciated.

·
Please call me Mike
1,591 Posts
cost will be determined buy the quality of components used. I would compare to them to the commercially available kits and the hard parts they are offering.
higher ended turbos, wastegate and bov can add quite a bit to price.
installing a turbo system is pretty labor intensive. Nothing is hard just it can take time.
i dont blame them for wanting to build something. Every car is different. This way Everything will fit correctly and function as it should.

look at the hellion kits. Those are the nicest kits and compare their price to that. Take out labor. 16 hours of labor would be my guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cost will be determined buy the quality of components used. I would compare to them to the commercially available kits and the hard parts they are offering.
higher ended turbos, wastegate and bov can add quite a bit to price.
installing a turbo system is pretty labor intensive. Nothing is hard just it can take time.
i dont blame them for wanting to build something. Every car is different. This way Everything will fit correctly and function as it should.

look at the hellion kits. Those are the nicest kits and compare their price to that. Take out labor. 16 hours of labor would be my guess.
Funny thing, I don't know what happened to the Hellion kit. That was my #1 pre-fabbed kit, and then it disappeared from their site and from a large amount of the online retailers. Not sure what happened to that kit. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Once you start talking about custom, they price goes up. Cost will also depend on your location. I couldn't afford to do anything custom with local fabricators. Price would be ridiculous.

See if you can get a bg kit. Also cg fabrications builds nice pieces reasonably priced imo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Several guys can sell the kit like BG, Pony Down, etc...

Install is not gonna be cheap. As stated above VERY labor intensive.

Fuel, figure pump, 255 HP minimum, Injectors, 60 # minimum, MAF?

Have you thought about tuning? thats not cheap either.

all in ? Probably 5-6 k at least

1 - 6 of 6 Posts