Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the new Fox throttle cable replacements the correct length?
I had issues 4-5 years ago with new cables being the wrong length. It seems the few I tried were the Pioneer brand. There was discussion about this and it was a common issue. Has anyone purchased one lately?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I would hope someone by now has built a correct length but i haven't seen them... What's wrong you don't want that 25ft cable wrapping around your engine compartment? Lol

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh! Thanks guys. I've read reviews of the 36" model from ATP and they seem legit. I may try one and be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The last replacement cable I used was a pioneer. It was an utter piece of dog ****, but I made it work. The ferrule that held the cable on wasn’t crimped properly, and it wanted to bind up.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last replacement cable I used was a pioneer. It was an utter piece of dog ****, but I made it work. The ferrule that held the cable on wasn’t crimped properly, and it wanted to bind up.
That's the brand I had issues with. I think the part that sits inside of the spring was the wrong length.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hunt for Mark VII parts, all the 1987-92 models have the identical throttle cable, and will be less used.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Have you installed it yet? the only review i could find says the throttle connection is the wrong size.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you installed it yet? the only review i could find says the throttle connection is the wrong size.
Yes. The ball socket is a tad big but I crimped the retainer clip tighter.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
432 Posts
Hey! Is this for a carb application??? Mines got a FI 2.3 throttle cable and it's about 18 in too long!! It's in a loop right at the carb and a real mess!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey! Is this for a carb application??? Mines got a FI 2.3 throttle cable and it's about 18 in too long!! It's in a loop right at the carb and a real mess!!
I thought you were going to buy my 83-84 OEM carb throttle cable a while back? 🤷‍♂️
Still have it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The Explorer 302's have a very long cable that runs around the front of the intake, above the distributor area(coil packs are there), and goes back to the TB. I'm wondering for my 347 which cables(CC also) I should use for the 75mm Fox TB, which have a much different cable mounting(direction and arm angle etc).

I've used a V6 cable(very long) on a 1988 HO engine I put into my Crown Vic, turning the intake around. So the cable had to go under the TB and turn around up front, to then go back and to the stock TB. It worked well, but I had to change the end of the throttle cable, the V6 end was different.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Explorer 302's have a very long cable that runs around the front of the intake, above the distributor area(coil packs are there), and goes back to the TB. I'm wondering for my 347 which cables(CC also) I should use for the 75mm Fox TB, which have a much different cable mounting(direction and arm angle etc).

I've used a V6 cable(very long) on a 1988 HO engine I put into my Crown Vic, turning the intake around. So the cable had to go under the TB and turn around up front, to then go back and to the stock TB. It worked well, but I had to change the end of the throttle cable, the V6 end was different.
The cable I mentioned above is 36" long. I have a Fox TB and intake on my SN.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I haven't worked on my 92 Lincoln much at all since I bought it. The throttle cable is probably fine to use if I can make it work with my Explorer cruise control module(different cable end) that's smaller and can be mounted easier than the old style. I think the Fox cable is the better choice if it and CC cable are compatible at the TB etc. I'll have to mock that all up when I gut the engine bay to swap wiring and install the Explorer PCM. I might do away with the EGR, that's the one other item that might be hard to fit to the intake with the later EGR system(DPFE sensor and EGR pipe).

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
432 Posts
Tell y'all what I'll do, when I get my cable in I'll measure the cable I take off (4cyl FI 90 LX) original cable, just in case anyone has a use for a specific cable length like that to assist with their build??? Zat make sence or clear as mud??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts