Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Mustang GT that is the factory dark blue color but has the two tone grey bottom colored GT trim. My question is for anyone that has owned a older mustang. I want to take the bottom GT trim off and paint it the same paint color has the original dark blue the top of the car has. Has anyone done this (repainted a dark blue or black part) and have it match up with the original paint job. Please let me know if it'll stick out like a sore thumb if i have the newly painted parts side-by-side with the original blue parts. i know that white and lighter colors don't match but i wasn't sure about darker colors. any replies or responses are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. -Matt

[email protected]:evil:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Unless you have an expert painter doing the work, and the car has been garaged for the last 14 years, forget it. Dark metalflakes are especially bad. Remove a trim piece (headlight, or taillight would be easey) and take the car out in the sunlight, you will be amazed at just how much fade you have...

$.02

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Contrary to what the above post says, it can be done. Have a piece of the car that is close to the skirts computer matched for the proper color. Any decent body/paint shop can do this and mix up the color needed.

If it were me (which it was and is), I'd wait until I had the extra money to do the whole thing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Puter said:
Contrary to what the above post says, it can be done. Have a piece of the car that is close to the skirts computer matched for the proper color. Any decent body/paint shop can do this and mix up the color needed.

If it were me (which it was and is), I'd wait until I had the extra money to do the whole thing.

Well, more power to you then.. Best of luck, I personally have had only bad experiences with dark metalflake..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts