Ford Mustang Forums banner
141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the 5-blade focus fan blade would do for CFM. No idea how the pitch compares to the others. Might be worthwhile to eliminate all the variables and test out all 3 blades on one of the single contour (or focus) motors and just switch the blade. That would eliminate differences from the shroud, and differences in the motors (if they exist) by keeping as many variables the same. It does appear that the focus and contour motors are similar, but in looking them up they have different part numbers. Different motor specs? or something like a motor plug in a different orientation.

Too bad you can't locate the blades separately. You could swap two of the 11-blade units onto the contour fan if it showed an increase of X cfm. It looked like going from contour to focus 11-blade was a 500 cfm jump roughly on one fan.
So Mike, I figured I would give the test a round 2.

First video shows fan blade and fan motor details, showing the differences and what was needed to fit a Focus fan blade to a Contour motor. I did not measure the motor mounts, but looking at both, I think the Focus motors could be installed in the Contour shroud. Plugs are the same so wiring harness can be kept.

Second video is the actual testing showing Amps and CFM using the same motor and shroud for all three tests.

So final result -
  • Contour 6 blade fan moved about 3000 CFM
  • Focus 11 blade fan moved about 3200 CFM (was rubbing a slight amount, possibly could move a little more)
  • Focus 5 blade fan moved about 2300 CFM (a lot of rubbing, could get a couple hundred more CFM if clearanced better)

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Interesting.

So, assuming one can pick up two junkyard focus fans pretty cheap, in theory they might be able to swap 2 motors and the 2 11-blade fans over and pick up 400ish CFM, at the cost of maybe 1-2 amps per motor.

of course you have to factor in less cfm when pulling through a 3-core radiator and an ac condenser. Maybe a bit more load.

unknown if that’s worth it.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,577 Posts
No. It was a Four Seasons. You continue to generalize that all non-OEM Contour fans don't work yet there's an overwhelming majority using them with great success. Your reasoning is that the Contour fan is designed for a 200hp car. How do you explain so many folks using MarkIII fans and 3.8 Taurus fans then? They were no powerhouses.

The TN heat is nothing compared to AZ. When you've driven in 120* weather in the city with AC running; let me know. My car had a 347 by the way.
Ive tried to indicate it was the fan “I” bought in “my application” and that “I” would not go this route again but to pay for a much more expensive fan of prior known quality.

Please forgive me if I wasn’t explaining my rationale clearly enough. You all do what you find works well and kudos if you find better cheaper solutions.

Further I believe I indicated I had FLA heat experience under that belt as well. If not yes it was so. Perhaps i am incorrectly sensing some frustration in a tone here? I hope so.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Interesting.

So, assuming one can pick up two junkyard focus fans pretty cheap, in theory they might be able to swap 2 motors and the 2 11-blade fans over and pick up 400ish CFM, at the cost of maybe 1-2 amps per motor.

of course you have to factor in less cfm when pulling through a 3-core radiator and an ac condenser. Maybe a bit more load.

unknown if that’s worth it.
When riding the razors ass edge of overheating that 400cfm could be worth it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So Mike, I figured I would give the test a round 2.

First video shows fan blade and fan motor details, showing the differences and what was needed to fit a Focus fan blade to a Contour motor. I did not measure the motor mounts, but looking at both, I think the Focus motors could be installed in the Contour shroud. Plugs are the same so wiring harness can be kept.

Second video is the actual testing showing Amps and CFM using the same motor and shroud for all three tests.

So final result -
  • Contour 6 blade fan moved about 3000 CFM
  • Focus 11 blade fan moved about 3200 CFM (was rubbing a slight amount, possibly could move a little more)
  • Focus 5 blade fan moved about 2300 CFM (a lot of rubbing, could get a couple hundred more CFM if clearanced better)
Thanks for doing this experiment and posting it.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts