Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Good digging, now just need to find out actual measurements, the measurements that are limitedly available are at the tabs, not the shroud itself.

Any mention of a failure rate with them like the aftermarket ones? I've never had a Ford fan lose a blade before.

I also noticed the hell cat fans are brushless. That Spal unit looks great but with OE options out there I'm not ready to cough up that kinda green for fans.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Found this....****...

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
Ouch. An expensive fan taking out a MOAR expensive radiator. No I’ll never go Dorman or PartsGeek etc here. A $500 fan is bad but taking out my $700 radiator (custom Griffin) would be HorRiBLe. The SPAL lasted 20 years thereabouts and only in the last year did the motors slowly not perform well enough. Can’t complain over the life for sure.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Contour fan I am using was in a former DD of mine that had 340k km (210k miles) and another 10k miles in my Mustang. No issues or reasons to make me worry about it.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
I was referring to the aftermarket copy fans (link to the Dodge fan) mentioned above threads that is know to take out rads. But my cheap fan has never performed like an expensive quality fan. I got what a paid for Only.

OEM Dodge fan or SPAL is what I am after now. But this thread opened my eyes to more than SPAL. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
You must have gotten an OEM version? My PartsGeek one isn't great for 333ci in TN heat anyway.
No. It was a Four Seasons. You continue to generalize that all non-OEM Contour fans don't work yet there's an overwhelming majority using them with great success. Your reasoning is that the Contour fan is designed for a 200hp car. How do you explain so many folks using MarkIII fans and 3.8 Taurus fans then? They were no powerhouses.

The TN heat is nothing compared to AZ. When you've driven in 120* weather in the city with AC running; let me know. My car had a 347 by the way.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
By the way; I practice what I preach. Here's another sitting in inventory should I need it.
My coolant temp hit 220° at 13psi of boost today. Did the world end? No. I drove the car home without issue.

Attachments

Reactions: kruiser

·
Registered
253 Posts
I borrowed an air flow meter from work today and did a couple of air flow tests on Contour and Focus dual fans.

Further to my comment in the video, I do believe you could swap the fan blades from a Focus onto the Contour motors to get more CFM flow from your Contour shroud and motors (Contour shroud better suited for Fox body Mustang than that of a Focus).
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Engineering

Focus fans on top and Contour on the bottom.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
What year focus is that fan from?

i agree that the contour fan does fit the fox radiator quite well. I wonder if there are any other OEM motor options that would swap into the shroud similar to how the dodge guys are swapping in higher power motors into the srt8 shroud.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I borrowed an air flow meter from work today and did a couple of air flow tests on Contour and Focus dual fans.

Further to my comment in the video, I do believe you could swap the fan blades from a Focus onto the Contour motors to get more CFM flow from your Contour shroud and motors (Contour shroud better suited for Fox body Mustang than that of a Focus).
View attachment 1087301
Focus fans on top and Contour on the bottom.
Is it me or is the Contour fan test missing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The video is about 5 minutes. The Contour is first. It switches over to the Focus at about 2:07.

The Focus fan I used came from a 2004. From what I have found they can be had in 2000-07 years. Focus' can have single or dual fans. The interesting thing is from the factory the Focus controls the fans independently unlike the Contour where both run for high or low speed. The second fan on the Focus in the video didn't run because I didn't have the motor connector in all the way.

I don't know if the Focus motor is stronger or just the additional blades gave that fan more CFM.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
I want a bigger shroud I have a larger 26x18 core. The contour fan leaves a big gap on the bottom which drives me nuts.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I want a bigger shroud I have a larger 26x18 core. The contour fan leaves a big gap on the bottom which drives me nuts.

The mounting brackets from LMR do a really good job at improving the fit. They bolt on the top and bottom of the shroud. I can see if i can get a measurement as I need to pull the whole assembly out to swap out my PS pulley. But it adds about 3" to the top and bottom.

Automotive tire Steering wheel Rim Audio equipment Motor vehicle

The bottom portion fits into some S clip and the top mounts flush against the top of the radiator. No contact on the fins (so no vibration to wear the core and cause leaks) but every inch of the radiator is covered.

Automotive tire Light Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Rim

To mount, you drop the fan assembly down from the top and slip the bottom bracket into the S-clips. Top is held in place by two bolts into some speed clips on the radiator. It's a pretty clean install if you don't mind spending the $99 for the brackets.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

In case you are wondering what the bottle is, i run a remote PS fluid setup with my hydroboost. Helps with fluid surging and avoiding leaks.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
That fits your radiator well, mine has gaps on the sides and a 3" exposed core on the bottom.

I digging the idea of switching fan blades to the focus unit. The only concern I have about the test is one fan was drawing from the battery vs two. Giving the single fan an advantage with extra juice.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
That fits your radiator well, mine has gaps on the sides and a 3" exposed core on the bottom.
Ah, I understand now. Well looks like others have a decent pic of the fan mounting on a stock dimensioned radiator for future reference.

------------------

I'd be curious to see what the 5-blade focus fan blade would do for CFM. No idea how the pitch compares to the others. Might be worthwhile to eliminate all the variables and test out all 3 blades on one of the single contour (or focus) motors and just switch the blade. That would eliminate differences from the shroud, and differences in the motors (if they exist) by keeping as many variables the same. It does appear that the focus and contour motors are similar, but in looking them up they have different part numbers. Different motor specs? or something like a motor plug in a different orientation.

Too bad you can't locate the blades separately. You could swap two of the 11-blade units onto the contour fan if it showed an increase of X cfm. It looked like going from contour to focus 11-blade was a 500 cfm jump roughly on one fan.

Of course, increased load on the motors does result in increased current, especially on startup if you are not using a controller with soft-start ability. All this needs to be played with the tested out.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Here's an odd one to think about. I bought a replacement fan for my '94.
The oem fan has 9 blades. Aftermarket fans have 7 or 8 blades depending on brand. They also turn in the opposite direction. The blade shape/pitch is identical to oem. This new fan can suck a shop fan and hold it to the front mounted intercooler! Now look at 04 Cobra fans or even new make fans. It seems that Ford discovered something with blade density. Less is more?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
It seems that Ford discovered something with blade density. Less is more?
Just spitballing, but I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for this. I know that stall is a huge concern with fans. Having the biggest fan in the world won't matter if you can't draw the air through the radiator/condenser/intercooler fast enough and this huge negative pressure causes almost the same effect as when you cavitate a boat prop and it doesn't go anywhere. I know Ford tends to use similar motors on similar contemporary fans, so the blade design/numbers/angles might be a way of using a smaller variety of motors in different configurations with different/pressure velocity needs. Also without understanding the pitch angles and fan diameter, it would be hard to understand which blade designs are more efficient or move more air. Noise would also be a consideration.

I don't know for sure, just throwing out some thoughts.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Just spitballing, but I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for this. I know that stall is a huge concern with fans. Having the biggest fan in the world won't matter if you can't draw the air through the radiator/condenser/intercooler fast enough and this huge negative pressure causes almost the same effect as when you cavitate a boat prop and it doesn't go anywhere. I know Ford tends to use similar motors on similar contemporary fans, so the blade design/numbers/angles might be a way of using a smaller variety of motors in different configurations with different/pressure velocity needs. Also without understanding the pitch angles and fan diameter, it would be hard to understand which blade designs are more efficient or move more air. Noise would also be a consideration.

I don't know for sure, just throwing out some thoughts.
I'm a firm believer that while yes CFM is important, having as much shrouded area on the core is just as vital. Surface area is a big deal. Who's to say having the 3" gap I do at the bottom would be better at the top based on coolant flow through the radiator? Being 100% shrouded helps eliminate that concern. The other issue with the contour fan many haven't touched is it's lack of pressure release flaps for when above 30-35mph. No matter how much fan you move, after those speeds you need to start releasing pressure. If I don't end up finding a better shrouded fan with built in reliefs I'm going to cut my own and put some aftermarket flaps on the shroud. Because of this I keep the exposed gap on mine at the bottom since foxes are typically bottom feeders with air at speed. I need to just take a day and go to a yard with a measuring tape and see what I can find. I understand the theory that even a 600hp V8 uses the same HP to idle as maybe a 200hp car. But it's using more fuel and creating more heat by default with the extra pistons. I'd really like to find some higher HP or V8 engine fan setups. I have an Ecoboost SHO in my driveway, I'm going to measure it for giggles.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts