Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Could be well worth the try at those prices. Any leads on where to get OEM fan version? I want to know that I know that I know it’s a real and high performance fan Designed to cool that Dodge HP level.
ANy of the Mopar parts house sites can get it, along with the dealer.

I believe this is the part number for the 09-20 single fan unit. Mopar 68050129AA

Wheel Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part

2009-2022 Mopar Radiator Cooling Fan Module 68050129AA Mopar | JCDR Parts (jeepchryslerdodgeramparts.com)

EBay has used ones. I am seeing a few in the $100 and less range. I am not buying one at this time however because my Contour fan is currently meeting my needs.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Did some more reading on a slow AM.

Lots of challenger guys upgrade the single fan to the dual fan unit. Single fan is refered to as "heavy duty cooling" and the dual fan unit is "extreme duty cooling". They fit the same radiator so I imagine the dimensions are similar.

Dual fan unit comes on 2011-2014 Dodge Challenger SRT8's (looks like other years/models as well). Unfortunately I can't find a single part number for the fan as an assembly. But it looks like this
20 DODGE CHALLENGER 6.4L RADIATOR FAN ASSEMBLY 68236868AB | eBay

That's as far as i'll look into this. Someone else will have to get some dimensions and see how well they fit the fox radiator. I hear the single fan fits quite well, no idea about the dual fan

·
Registered
8,563 Posts

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Rectangle Product Font Screenshot Parallel

Hmmm maybe not. Looking at reviews on Amazon for the Dorman version these fans apparently have issues with blades coming off and killing radiators.

Anyone know the dimensions of the single?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
From what I'm reading on the challenger boards, the dual fan is a direct bolt on replacement for the single. Even looking at the pics, the mounting tabs do look identical.

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive lighting

I think i'm going to set up a few searchs on Ebay and wait for a used OE unit

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
If one of these new can cool a Hellcat it should handle my 450hp fox body. I think I’ll go this way in a few weeks when federal reserve notes permit.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention here. :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
And for reference, the contour fan dimensions as some folks have this now so they can visualize the fit. It looks like the challenger fan would fit quite well and slightly thinner (single fan). Looking for dual fan dimensions

Font Engineering Auto part Parallel Technical drawing

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
View attachment 1087131
Hmmm maybe not. Looking at reviews on Amazon for the Dorman version these fans apparently have issues with blades coming off and killing radiators.

Anyone know the dimensions of the single?
Yeah I’ll NOT go imitation manufacturer again. It’s OEM or SPAL for me from here on out. I wanna “know that I know…”

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Reactions: SNK VNM

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Hope it’s not a cheap china knockoff as my “high flow” Contour fan is. The SPAL waaaay outflows what I am running but I got what I paid for no doubt.

Definitely keep us posted.
I've used the repop Contour fans for years here in Phoenix with no issues. I have another one sitting here new in the box. I use the Four Seasons brand but all brands are probably made at one factory. They have a huge following across many vehicle brands as an upgrade.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Heres what i found from this thread on the dual-fan Dodge fans

Overcooling? | LX Forums Forum

The dual fan shroud is the same. 2005 to present. The motors do change. There are three.

• 05137714AA XDK, Standard Duty, 2100rpm - Left upper side on all shrouds
  • 05072330AB NMS, Severe Duty, 2695rpm, Right / lower side
  • 05170746AA XDL Severe Duty II, 3090rpm, Right / lower side

The upper fan motor is the same on all the dual-fan setups. The SRT8's, police chargers, and 2015+ Scatbacks (and some chryslers/jeeps) all got the dual fan with the middle motor above mounted on the bottom. The 3090 RPM motor came on other models (and cars headed to desert regions) but will fit into that bottom spot. I don't know if they will fit in both locations on the shroud

The concern is amperage. Apparently these motors pull 25 amps each while running. Anecdotal claim however.

I think this is an OEM 05 SRT8 dual fan and might be adequate for the job. I would double check first before taking my word on it. Looks like $190 shipped which is fantastic for a new OEM fan. Again, just double check before ordering.

5170741AA - Genuine Mopar Motor-Radiator Fan (moparpartsgiant.com)

That's about all i'll dig into this right now. I have a few sub-$100 fans on ebay on my watch list. Maybe i'll buy one and play around with it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
If I read that thread correctly it was 25a each at startup.
Not sure i trust that figure. I've measured the current draw on my Contour fans using a meter and the motors draw ~60 amps EACH on startup if I use a standard on/off relay and just flip them on. Only lasts 1/2 second or so before settling down. At max speed, the 2 motors draw 25 amps combined.

I wired my fans using a soft-start PWM controller to avoid the high spike, but I would like to see some confirmed current numbers for the Dodge fan unit at max speed while running to make sure my 130A can handle it. I can measure it, but I need a fan first.

Not quite committed to changing out my Contour fan yet. As of right now it's doing the job.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
10-4. Good current draw info on yours. I’ve not measure my“contour“.

Good point my SN95 130A might have trouble if the Hellcat fans pull too much current. Maybe “not” the highest fan would be fine.

Granted my old Dual Spal was well fed by my 130A unit years ago. I may have to pull up that current draw info to compare.

Ive been using a DCC controller from Brian for about 20 yrs now I think. Super units.

Edit- here’s the SPAL tech data sheet with current draw.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I went with the contour fans and infiniti control module like posted in this thread. The holley ecu provides the pwm signal and it works flawless. No big amp draw and you don't even hear the fan at all. So far I've never needed more than 65% duty cycle to keep the car around 185*. I have a new 2 row cold case aluminum radiator as well. I added a virtual switch on my Holley dash to turn the fan on/off whenever I want.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
That Dodge forum indicated that some of those guys were looking at installing a “Pursuit” 220A alternator.

<<<< HOLY SMACK >>>>

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
I never tested mine when I was running a SPAL but my 130A SN95 had no trouble supporting that and my other electrical needs in my 450hp car with full ac etc.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts