Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been discussed multiple times, but I'd like to get feedback on specific electric fan combos people are using to keep their rides cool. I live in San Antonio and my '93 just can't stay cool in 100 degree+ heat when I get caught at long stop lights, construction, etc. I have an aftermarket (stock dimensions) aluminum radiator and the stock fan setup, new fan clutch and stock pulleys on a freshly built 302. I've already upgraded to a 130 amp alternator, so my electrical system should be able to handle a healthy fan system. Whatever I use needs to be able to handle the summer heat with A/C going. I'd rather build a little overkill, than not have enough air movement. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all great suggestions. I checked the air deflectors and one is there, the other is pretty much gone. I do have a "a large 2 core with 1"-1.25" tubes", new high flow water pump, 180 degree quality thermostat, and block that was vatted prior to the rebuild to ensure water passages were clear. The motor is so new I haven't had a chance to drive it on "normal" 80-90 degree days in stop and go traffic, but it behaves on the highway in the 100 degree heat.

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Contour Fan from Rock Auto (More Information for FOUR SEASONS 75282 (rockauto.com) ), the side deflectors from LMR, and this controller DC-0444 (Davies Craig DC-0444 Davies Craig Digital Thermatic Fan Switch Kits | Summit Racing). I know this seems like I'm throwing money at the problem, but while the new side deflectors alone will probably help, I'm tired of being worried about being stuck in traffic. Motor is a fresh 302 with GT-40P heads, Lunati cam, intake/injector upgrade, 12 degrees BTDC, stock EEC and an AOD. Cooling system is all new and clean. My daily Camry can take it with the A/C on, so my mustang should be able to do the same.

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Contour Fan from Rock Auto (More Information for FOUR SEASONS 75282 (rockauto.com) ), the side deflectors from LMR, and this controller DC-0444 (Davies Craig DC-0444 Davies Craig Digital Thermatic Fan Switch Kits | Summit Racing). I know this seems like I'm throwing money at the problem, but while the new side deflectors alone will probably help, I'm tired of being worried about being stuck in traffic. Motor is a fresh 302 with GT-40P heads, Lunati cam, intake/injector upgrade, 12 degrees BTDC, stock EEC and an AOD. Cooling system is all new and clean. My daily Camry can take it with the A/C on, so my mustang should be able to do the same.
So I bought all of the above and am in the process of wiring everything up. Two questions for those of you that have been here before:
1. My DC-0444 Fan Controller Kit says to splice the Yellow "Ignition" wire to a positive ignition or accessories source. What source did you splice into and where physically?
2. The Green wire goes to the "Air Conditioner" and acts as a manual override. Same question as above, but do I want the fans to kick on whenever the A/C is on, such as running down the highway? Seems like I'm using up fan life having them run 100% when the A/C is on. Won't the temp sensor kick on the fans when the motor gets above the preset fan on trigger point?

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's how I do mine.

AC on: 100% fan power
WOT or over 40MPH: fan off
Engine temp: 160-210 degrees = 70%-100% fan speed depending on temp.
I don't have a WOT or >MPH as an option on my controller, just fan temp kick on speed. I may try leaving the A/C wire disengaged and just rely on the temp kick on and see how that does. Having fans run 100% cruising on the highway at 75 just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
HOWEVER....depending on conditions, you could be in a situation where you start the car, the fans don't kick on for a while because the coolant is not up to temp, but you are needing/using A/C.
The A/C on with zero air pulling through the condenser is bad news. You can blow a line.
Copy that, I wasn't considering that situation. A/C comes on immediately this time of year. My days of driving around without A/C are long gone! thanks!

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Per the above chart, the difference in bore wear between 180 and 200 is negligible. I don't believe auto manufacturers increased normal operating temps to improve performance or save engine wear, it was done for emission purposes. Modern engines last more miles now because of tighter tolerances by the factory and superior oil formulations that weren't present in the 60's. Just my .02 worth, and my personal preference if I want my engine to run at 180 vs. 190, 210, etc.

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I just wanted to follow up and close the loop on my above combo. I finally got everything wired up and installed to my liking and have zero complaints. We're in the middle of nasty heatwave with 31 days straight at 100 degrees or higher. I've run the car with A/C on in stop and go traffic and the Four Season Contour fans keep my combo right at 190 degrees, or cooler.

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts