Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
I’m running a healthy 347 with a 4R70W, full accessory car. I also live in Phoenix. I have to pull air through a big arse trans cooler, A/C condenser and 2 row radiator. I tested a few different electric fan setups to no avail, this was in 110F ambient temperatures. The Derale unit is the only one that actually worked. I’ve programmed my fans to shut off at speeds above 50mph and the two rubber flaps on this fan shroud allow plenty of air through at highway speed with the fanson or off.

Save yourself time and $, do it right the 1st time and buy the best fan setup from the start.
I've really thought about doing this setup, but I'm not sure if it will clear my Vortech or the sharp 45° angle hose that comes off the top of the radiator.

Contour fans work great for me until it hits about 95 outside. Then in traffic I hit 220 real quick with AC on.

Edit, someone posted up about dual MKS or MKZ /Edge fans?. I need 26x18 to cover my core. These look pretty dang close.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
I just looked at specs and I think one of the newer Dodge Charger fans will fit for my 31x19 with 26x18 core. $135. I bet it’s better than the contour one designed to cool a 200hp car. Might go pick one up and see.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
8,417 Posts

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Rectangle Product Font Screenshot Parallel

Hmmm maybe not. Looking at reviews on Amazon for the Dorman version these fans apparently have issues with blades coming off and killing radiators.

Anyone know the dimensions of the single?

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Good digging, now just need to find out actual measurements, the measurements that are limitedly available are at the tabs, not the shroud itself.

Any mention of a failure rate with them like the aftermarket ones? I've never had a Ford fan lose a blade before.

I also noticed the hell cat fans are brushless. That Spal unit looks great but with OE options out there I'm not ready to cough up that kinda green for fans.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Found this....****...

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
I want a bigger shroud I have a larger 26x18 core. The contour fan leaves a big gap on the bottom which drives me nuts.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
That fits your radiator well, mine has gaps on the sides and a 3" exposed core on the bottom.

I digging the idea of switching fan blades to the focus unit. The only concern I have about the test is one fan was drawing from the battery vs two. Giving the single fan an advantage with extra juice.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Just spitballing, but I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for this. I know that stall is a huge concern with fans. Having the biggest fan in the world won't matter if you can't draw the air through the radiator/condenser/intercooler fast enough and this huge negative pressure causes almost the same effect as when you cavitate a boat prop and it doesn't go anywhere. I know Ford tends to use similar motors on similar contemporary fans, so the blade design/numbers/angles might be a way of using a smaller variety of motors in different configurations with different/pressure velocity needs. Also without understanding the pitch angles and fan diameter, it would be hard to understand which blade designs are more efficient or move more air. Noise would also be a consideration.

I don't know for sure, just throwing out some thoughts.
I'm a firm believer that while yes CFM is important, having as much shrouded area on the core is just as vital. Surface area is a big deal. Who's to say having the 3" gap I do at the bottom would be better at the top based on coolant flow through the radiator? Being 100% shrouded helps eliminate that concern. The other issue with the contour fan many haven't touched is it's lack of pressure release flaps for when above 30-35mph. No matter how much fan you move, after those speeds you need to start releasing pressure. If I don't end up finding a better shrouded fan with built in reliefs I'm going to cut my own and put some aftermarket flaps on the shroud. Because of this I keep the exposed gap on mine at the bottom since foxes are typically bottom feeders with air at speed. I need to just take a day and go to a yard with a measuring tape and see what I can find. I understand the theory that even a 600hp V8 uses the same HP to idle as maybe a 200hp car. But it's using more fuel and creating more heat by default with the extra pistons. I'd really like to find some higher HP or V8 engine fan setups. I have an Ecoboost SHO in my driveway, I'm going to measure it for giggles.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
The MKC fan looks very very close to the dimensions I need and has reliefs. It’s about 26.5” and 18.5”. I could easily trim down one side a hair where it’ll sit against the tank. Might try to track one down at a friends wrecking yard.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
If the opening for the fans themselves is large enough, why would you need flaps? The air can travel through the fan openings.
I watched video from a friends car with a go pro on a Derale setup and after 40mph even with the fans on the flaps started to open and let air through.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Well think of it this way most open track cars don't even have fans, and if they do, it's a small 10-12 single just to barely keep it cool idling.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
That's a pretty reasonable price for that module. Good find.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Interesting.

So, assuming one can pick up two junkyard focus fans pretty cheap, in theory they might be able to swap 2 motors and the 2 11-blade fans over and pick up 400ish CFM, at the cost of maybe 1-2 amps per motor.

of course you have to factor in less cfm when pulling through a 3-core radiator and an ac condenser. Maybe a bit more load.

unknown if that’s worth it.
When riding the razors ass edge of overheating that 400cfm could be worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts