Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
My vote is for Contour fans. Fan controller of your choice with temp sensor for the fans in lower rad hose or discharge side of rad. For those that were wondering, the Contour used low speed (power fed through the thermoresistor first before going to the fan motors) when the A/C was operating.

I have OEM Contour fans, 180 t-stat and fan controller (OEM Contour relays) that kicks low speed on at 200-205. High speed would kick in at 215 and in 5 years has NEVER kicked high speed on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Contour fan I am using was in a former DD of mine that had 340k km (210k miles) and another 10k miles in my Mustang. No issues or reasons to make me worry about it.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
253 Posts
I borrowed an air flow meter from work today and did a couple of air flow tests on Contour and Focus dual fans.

Further to my comment in the video, I do believe you could swap the fan blades from a Focus onto the Contour motors to get more CFM flow from your Contour shroud and motors (Contour shroud better suited for Fox body Mustang than that of a Focus).
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Engineering

Focus fans on top and Contour on the bottom.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The video is about 5 minutes. The Contour is first. It switches over to the Focus at about 2:07.

The Focus fan I used came from a 2004. From what I have found they can be had in 2000-07 years. Focus' can have single or dual fans. The interesting thing is from the factory the Focus controls the fans independently unlike the Contour where both run for high or low speed. The second fan on the Focus in the video didn't run because I didn't have the motor connector in all the way.

I don't know if the Focus motor is stronger or just the additional blades gave that fan more CFM.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The other issue with the contour fan many haven't touched is it's lack of pressure release flaps for when above 30-35mph.
If the opening for the fans themselves is large enough, why would you need flaps? The air can travel through the fan openings.

Different motor specs? or something like a motor plug in a different orientation.
Yes, the Focus motor has the plug in a different location. If the two fan motors were side by side out of the shroud, the Focus motor would have its plug 3/4"-1" higher (fan blades on the ground), it is slightly offset up.

The only concern I have about the test is one fan was drawing from the battery vs two.
I don't think it would affect CFM on the Focus fan, it simply would have the fan run longer with less voltage drop. The battery has been sitting around for a while and wasn't the strongest. You can clearly see in the tests the voltage dropped faster on the Contour fan because both fans were running. The CFM dropped with voltage. The single Focus fan simply ran at higher voltage longer.

If I remember correctly, if you run the power feed through the thermoresistor for low speed, the voltage going to the motor was about 8V.

I may have to try that test of swapping all 3 blade types to the same motor in a particular shroud (just to hold it). Give me a little bit.

Recently I picked up the motors only out of an OEM Contour fan to keep as spares. Hit them with power and watch them jump if they are loose on the ground. I would be afraid of bodily injury to have a motor with blade not mounted in a shroud and powering it up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I watched video from a friends car with a go pro on a Derale setup and after 40mph even with the fans on the flaps started to open and let air through.
But what fan was it? Single or dual fan?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agreed. My fans NEVER come on when I am moving above 30 mph too. The fans are only for slow driving, idling, stop and go and potentially high ambient temperatures while moving (when I put the A/C on as well).

Reactions: Nitrous SSC

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the 5-blade focus fan blade would do for CFM. No idea how the pitch compares to the others. Might be worthwhile to eliminate all the variables and test out all 3 blades on one of the single contour (or focus) motors and just switch the blade. That would eliminate differences from the shroud, and differences in the motors (if they exist) by keeping as many variables the same. It does appear that the focus and contour motors are similar, but in looking them up they have different part numbers. Different motor specs? or something like a motor plug in a different orientation.

Too bad you can't locate the blades separately. You could swap two of the 11-blade units onto the contour fan if it showed an increase of X cfm. It looked like going from contour to focus 11-blade was a 500 cfm jump roughly on one fan.
So Mike, I figured I would give the test a round 2.

First video shows fan blade and fan motor details, showing the differences and what was needed to fit a Focus fan blade to a Contour motor. I did not measure the motor mounts, but looking at both, I think the Focus motors could be installed in the Contour shroud. Plugs are the same so wiring harness can be kept.

Second video is the actual testing showing Amps and CFM using the same motor and shroud for all three tests.

So final result -
  • Contour 6 blade fan moved about 3000 CFM
  • Focus 11 blade fan moved about 3200 CFM (was rubbing a slight amount, possibly could move a little more)
  • Focus 5 blade fan moved about 2300 CFM (a lot of rubbing, could get a couple hundred more CFM if clearanced better)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts