Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· USAF retired
10,254 Posts

· USAF retired
10,254 Posts
I believe that is part of the issue with my contour fan set up is that there's about a 3-4 gap on the bottom of fans that is not getting airflow through it at idle. The Griffin radiator I have works great at cruise, maybe too good, runs about 170 in 85-90 degree temps, but will run up to 200 at idle if it sits awhile, or in town; so that kind of indicates fan capacity isn't optimal.
I haven't charged A/C yet, kind of a new build still, but imagine it'll only get hotter with A/C condensor trying to shed heat too.

One thing I noticed in this thread some need to realize is the thermostat isn't fully open until 25 past initial opening temp, so a 195 thermostat won't be full open until 220.

every inch of the radiator is covered.

View attachment 1087353

· USAF retired
10,254 Posts
200° isn't hot. I've ran the Contour fans in 115 plus degrees weather with the A/C on in traffic. My coolant temps were 210° or there abouts. The factory sets the low speed fan to come on around 220° on a 94-95 gt.
I also run a 195° t-stat. It's a high flow Robert Shaw t-stat. I also run a high volume water pump. Your fan is just fine. ;)
I know, just illustrates how well the rad works at speed.
I've got the high flow water pump, and T-stat as well. It's November so what's in the car will ride through our Florida winter, once I get the A/C charged I'll see how it is next summer.

I know about the SN fans too, tuned my son's 94 cobra, and the other's 94GT, set both fans to come on much sooner. Those cars will typically run 215 or so in the heat with A/C on.

· USAF retired
10,254 Posts
Yup...I do the same thing and have the fans come on earlier. You should be good to go in the summer with A/C. Even the factory SN fan doesn't cover the whole radiator core.
I'm actually experimenting with a stock replacement fan/radiator on my '94. I kept the high flow water pump and t-stat. I have a big intercooler out front of the condenser now so my theory is that the thinner stock radiator will allow more airflow. It's worked well without the A/C hooked up. Next summer will be the test. Also; I can put a shop rag across the front of the intercooler and the factory replacement fan will hold the rag in place. It surprised the heck out of me.
Everyone I know that has an aftermarket stock replacement radiator in an SN car has said it runs hotter than the stocker did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts