Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
is it a lmr/American muscle/China/ebay type rad?

you need:

a large 2 core with 1"-1.25" tubes.

all the proper air deflectors installed

a properly functioning water pump. higher flow is a waste. make sure all the hoses are installed correctly.

a mr. gasket high flow 195* tsat

a stock fan and stock shroud are fine but if you must go electric, OEM contour fans with lmr mounting kit and a properly wired up fan controller. Lincoln mkz fans are also a great option.

16-19# cap. lower pressure cap lowers the boiling point of antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
BS! An E fan draws much more air at idle and slow speeds. Why do you think so many cars have swapped in E fans? I'm not just referring to Mustangs either. Check out Jeep forums. Do a Google search for "Contour fans". I had to install Chrysler 300 Hemi fans on my '66 F100 to keep it cool. It had a 7 blade clutch fan on it. The clutch fan was not cutting it. It wasn't even close. The F100 has A/C as well. Do you think that folks are imagining their cooling issues?
i guess all fox body mustangs were imported to AZ? either that or climate change is a mudda phucka. i agree to a point that e fans flow more but how did foxes cool prior to 94? surely you had ford dealerships thats sold them in AZ.

and the contour fans are amazing. the Lincoln mkz fans have built in hangers and cover 99% of the fox rad. and they fit with a Vortech pulley and 9.5 block.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Nice try. How many of them have been modified whether it be a cam swap or full out stroker? In '96 there was a TSB on all GT's. Guess what was happening straight from Ford? They were overheating. The partial fix; a '97 GT condenser which is a modern design which flows better.

Also; modern E10 fuels raise engine operating temperatures. This is a known fact.

I worked at a high end hotel in Scottsdale in the late 80's to early 90's. Ford, Volvo and GM engineers all stayed there while using vehicle testing grounds throughout the area. I remember just as clear as day; the Fox Mustangs puking coolant in the parking lot of the hotel. The engineers had a semi trailer of parts and were racing to fix the issue along with attempts to swap the AC systems to newer refridgerants. All this before the introduction of oxygenated fuels.

I'll give you another example. My friend has a 1970 Shelby 500 with a 428 Cobra Jet. He has owned the car since '71. It has a period correct restoration and a deluxe Marti Report. He has to retard the timing and keep driving distances to a minimum or the engine will puke coolant. This started with the introduction of ethanol blends. It's no secret here in AZ.

Another example.... Ford sold 60's F100's with a 4 blade mechanical fan. If you lived out west; you often got a Modine Desert Cooler 4 row radiator. If you opted for A/C; your truck received a 5 blade mechanical fan. I challenge you to keep any of these old truck restoration's cool in our summer heat nowadays. We are talking classic trucks and cars with factory equipment.

Just one example:

http://b3cfuel.com/PDF/the_unsung_villian_update.pdf

There's a reason Ron Davis is so popular here.
Nice try. How many of them have been modified whether it be a cam swap or full out stroker? In '96 there was a TSB on all GT's. Guess what was happening straight from Ford? They were overheating. The partial fix; a '97 GT condenser which is a modern design which flows better.

Also; modern E10 fuels raise engine operating temperatures. This is a known fact.

I worked at a high end hotel in Scottsdale in the late 80's to early 90's. Ford, Volvo and GM engineers all stayed there while using vehicle testing grounds throughout the area. I remember just as clear as day; the Fox Mustangs puking coolant in the parking lot of the hotel. The engineers had a semi trailer of parts and were racing to fix the issue along with attempts to swap the AC systems to newer refridgerants. All this before the introduction of oxygenated fuels.

I'll give you another example. My friend has a 1970 Shelby 500 with a 428 Cobra Jet. He has owned the car since '71. It has a period correct restoration and a deluxe Marti Report. He has to retard the timing and keep driving distances to a minimum or the engine will puke coolant. This started with the introduction of ethanol blends. It's no secret here in AZ.

Another example.... Ford sold 60's F100's with a 4 blade mechanical fan. If you lived out west; you often got a Modine Desert Cooler 4 row radiator. If you opted for A/C; your truck received a 5 blade mechanical fan. I challenge you to keep any of these old truck restoration's cool in our summer heat nowadays. We are talking classic trucks and cars with factory equipment.

Just one example:

http://b3cfuel.com/PDF/the_unsung_villian_update.pdf

There's a reason Ron Davis is so popular here.
thanks for the history lesson. thats a lot of information you have and it is appreciated. i know e10 fuel makes your engine run a tad hotter but e85 makes it run much cooler. in the summer i try to stay above e70 here. i was thinking about going to my stock fan setup when the new engine goes in but I think I'll stick to the contour/cold case setup.

can you tell me more about your infinity fan controller? thay sounds really cool
pun intended

1 - 3 of 3 Posts