Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth with a black Mark VII that has a warm(ish) 347 under the hood.
Speaking from personal experience, before you launch into fans and controllers and bigger radiators, FIRST make certain your plastic side deflectors are not allowing engine bay heat to slip around the sides of the radiator.
I went round and round with running too warm up to too hot, then stumbled across the video from LMR about their replacement deflectors.
Took a look at my car. The passenger side was gone, and the Driver side was so wasted that it was about an inch off of the radiator. Basically I was churning hot air round and round when in traffic and such.
Replacing the made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't have a WOT or >MPH as an option on my controller, just fan temp kick on speed. I may try leaving the A/C wire disengaged and just rely on the temp kick on and see how that does. Having fans run 100% cruising on the highway at 75 just doesn't make sense to me.
HOWEVER....depending on conditions, you could be in a situation where you start the car, the fans don't kick on for a while because the coolant is not up to temp, but you are needing/using A/C.
The A/C on with zero air pulling through the condenser is bad news. You can blow a line.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Context is important no doubt. I run a high flow 180F thermostat but it only holds that in non summer conditions here in TN now with my 450hp motor. DCC controller just can’t make my PartsGeek $99 Contour fan hold temps under 200F when stuck in traffic and ambient is 90F and I am running ac.

My old SPAL dual $500 fan did years ago but that was also 100hp lower but it would take off vertically like a rocket when on the driveway and I hooked 12v to it. I’ll buy and test one again in a few months only sadly maybe when summer is over. Running out of dollars faster than days in the month currently. Thx FEDRES.
Was the SPAL setup a prefab twin, or a homemade twin fan?
If prefab, do you recall the part number? And did it fit a Fox radiator well, or did you have to hack it up?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just wanted to follow up and close the loop on my above combo. I finally got everything wired up and installed to my liking and have zero complaints. We're in the middle of nasty heatwave with 31 days straight at 100 degrees or higher. I've run the car with A/C on in stop and go traffic and the Four Season Contour fans keep my combo right at 190 degrees, or cooler.
Glad you got it sorted out.
What controller did you use?
OR did you wire up a simple on or off relay setup?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So Mike, I figured I would give the test a round 2.

First video shows fan blade and fan motor details, showing the differences and what was needed to fit a Focus fan blade to a Contour motor. I did not measure the motor mounts, but looking at both, I think the Focus motors could be installed in the Contour shroud. Plugs are the same so wiring harness can be kept.

Second video is the actual testing showing Amps and CFM using the same motor and shroud for all three tests.

So final result -
  • Contour 6 blade fan moved about 3000 CFM
  • Focus 11 blade fan moved about 3200 CFM (was rubbing a slight amount, possibly could move a little more)
  • Focus 5 blade fan moved about 2300 CFM (a lot of rubbing, could get a couple hundred more CFM if clearanced better)
Thanks for doing this experiment and posting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts