Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been discussed multiple times, but I'd like to get feedback on specific electric fan combos people are using to keep their rides cool. I live in San Antonio and my '93 just can't stay cool in 100 degree+ heat when I get caught at long stop lights, construction, etc. I have an aftermarket (stock dimensions) aluminum radiator and the stock fan setup, new fan clutch and stock pulleys on a freshly built 302. I've already upgraded to a 130 amp alternator, so my electrical system should be able to handle a healthy fan system. Whatever I use needs to be able to handle the summer heat with A/C going. I'd rather build a little overkill, than not have enough air movement. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
is it a lmr/American muscle/China/ebay type rad?

you need:

a large 2 core with 1"-1.25" tubes.

all the proper air deflectors installed

a properly functioning water pump. higher flow is a waste. make sure all the hoses are installed correctly.

a mr. gasket high flow 195* tsat

a stock fan and stock shroud are fine but if you must go electric, OEM contour fans with lmr mounting kit and a properly wired up fan controller. Lincoln mkz fans are also a great option.

16-19# cap. lower pressure cap lowers the boiling point of antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you close in the gaps around your stock radiator fan shroud with 3/8" thick door window seal foam/weather strip it will cool better can buy at any big box store Amazon or Ace hardware. As far as electric fans I really like the big single contour fans. Or if you can find them the early Lincoln Mark VIII big single fans.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth with a black Mark VII that has a warm(ish) 347 under the hood.
Speaking from personal experience, before you launch into fans and controllers and bigger radiators, FIRST make certain your plastic side deflectors are not allowing engine bay heat to slip around the sides of the radiator.
I went round and round with running too warm up to too hot, then stumbled across the video from LMR about their replacement deflectors.
Took a look at my car. The passenger side was gone, and the Driver side was so wasted that it was about an inch off of the radiator. Basically I was churning hot air round and round when in traffic and such.
Replacing the made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a contour fan I bought from Rock Auto and a DC Control standalone fan controller. This is on a stock radiator. Works great.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm in Phoenix so I feel for you. Here's what it took to cool down my '95 GT with A/C running:
2 row radiator with 1" tubes.
Contour fans
Flowkooler High flow water pump
Robert Shaw High flow T-stat
Higher flowing A/C condenser from a '97 Mustang. (Less fin density)

My son had an '86 GT with A/C. He did the following:
Contour fans with an aftermarket controller
High flow water pump
High flow T-stat
Fluidyne radiator

The largest improvement that we both experienced was the Contour fans. They move some serious air when sitting in traffic. A Fox clutch fan doesn't pull that kind of air at low speeds and when idling. People in other states have no idea how hot it really gets in AZ, NM, Texas and Nevada. I've driven on 120* days. Today's high is 110*.

Reactions: kjb302ho

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all great suggestions. I checked the air deflectors and one is there, the other is pretty much gone. I do have a "a large 2 core with 1"-1.25" tubes", new high flow water pump, 180 degree quality thermostat, and block that was vatted prior to the rebuild to ensure water passages were clear. The motor is so new I haven't had a chance to drive it on "normal" 80-90 degree days in stop and go traffic, but it behaves on the highway in the 100 degree heat.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
These are all great suggestions. I checked the air deflectors and one is there, the other is pretty much gone. I do have a "a large 2 core with 1"-1.25" tubes", new high flow water pump, 180 degree quality thermostat, and block that was vatted prior to the rebuild to ensure water passages were clear. The motor is so new I haven't had a chance to drive it on "normal" 80-90 degree days in stop and go traffic, but it behaves on the highway in the 100 degree heat.
Also; is the car properly tuned?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The stock OE style fan clutch should easily cool the car in 100* temps. If that's not cutting it, an E-fan won't either.

I think you should investigate your current setup first.
BS! An E fan draws much more air at idle and slow speeds. Why do you think so many cars have swapped in E fans? I'm not just referring to Mustangs either. Check out Jeep forums. Do a Google search for "Contour fans". I had to install Chrysler 300 Hemi fans on my '66 F100 to keep it cool. It had a 7 blade clutch fan on it. The clutch fan was not cutting it. It wasn't even close. The F100 has A/C as well. Do you think that folks are imagining their cooling issues?

Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,408 Posts
what's done to the car?

for starters i'd say contour fan at the very least if not the mark VII.

also better deflector

that's assuming your coolant system is clean and has a good mix in it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Carbon Helmet

My delta pag fans move a ridiculous amount of air, and they have soft start built in.

Reactions: wytwolf

·
Registered
1993 Mustang GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Contour Fan from Rock Auto (More Information for FOUR SEASONS 75282 (rockauto.com) ), the side deflectors from LMR, and this controller DC-0444 (Davies Craig DC-0444 Davies Craig Digital Thermatic Fan Switch Kits | Summit Racing). I know this seems like I'm throwing money at the problem, but while the new side deflectors alone will probably help, I'm tired of being worried about being stuck in traffic. Motor is a fresh 302 with GT-40P heads, Lunati cam, intake/injector upgrade, 12 degrees BTDC, stock EEC and an AOD. Cooling system is all new and clean. My daily Camry can take it with the A/C on, so my mustang should be able to do the same.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I have the contour fan with the LMR bracket kit. It really does a nice job in mounting the fan and getting full coverage of the radiator. But so far this year on the warm days we've had, with the AC on, it has had no problem keeping my car cool. Granted, my Summer heat is probably not comparable to what you'd see in TX.

A million ways to wire these fans up. I'm using an Infiniti PWM fan controller on mine.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
BS! An E fan draws much more air at idle and slow speeds. Why do you think so many cars have swapped in E fans? I'm not just referring to Mustangs either. Check out Jeep forums. Do a Google search for "Contour fans". I had to install Chrysler 300 Hemi fans on my '66 F100 to keep it cool. It had a 7 blade clutch fan on it. The clutch fan was not cutting it. It wasn't even close. The F100 has A/C as well. Do you think that folks are imagining their cooling issues?
i guess all fox body mustangs were imported to AZ? either that or climate change is a mudda phucka. i agree to a point that e fans flow more but how did foxes cool prior to 94? surely you had ford dealerships thats sold them in AZ.

and the contour fans are amazing. the Lincoln mkz fans have built in hangers and cover 99% of the fox rad. and they fit with a Vortech pulley and 9.5 block.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
i guess all fox body mustangs were imported to AZ? either that or climate change is a mudda phucka. i agree to a point that e fans flow more but how did foxes cool prior to 94? surely you had ford dealerships thats sold them in AZ.

and the contour fans are amazing. the Lincoln mkz fans have built in hangers and cover 99% of the fox rad. and they fit with a Vortech pulley and 9.5 block.
Nice try. How many of them have been modified whether it be a cam swap or full out stroker? In '96 there was a TSB on all GT's. Guess what was happening straight from Ford? They were overheating. The partial fix; a '97 GT condenser which is a modern design which flows better.

Also; modern E10 fuels raise engine operating temperatures. This is a known fact.

I worked at a high end hotel in Scottsdale in the late 80's to early 90's. Ford, Volvo and GM engineers all stayed there while using vehicle testing grounds throughout the area. I remember just as clear as day; the Fox Mustangs puking coolant in the parking lot of the hotel. The engineers had a semi trailer of parts and were racing to fix the issue along with attempts to swap the AC systems to newer refridgerants. All this before the introduction of oxygenated fuels.

I'll give you another example. My friend has a 1970 Shelby 500 with a 428 Cobra Jet. He has owned the car since '71. It has a period correct restoration and a deluxe Marti Report. He has to retard the timing and keep driving distances to a minimum or the engine will puke coolant. This started with the introduction of ethanol blends. It's no secret here in AZ.

Another example.... Ford sold 60's F100's with a 4 blade mechanical fan. If you lived out west; you often got a Modine Desert Cooler 4 row radiator. If you opted for A/C; your truck received a 5 blade mechanical fan. I challenge you to keep any of these old truck restoration's cool in our summer heat nowadays. We are talking classic trucks and cars with factory equipment.

Just one example:

http://b3cfuel.com/PDF/the_unsung_villian_update.pdf

There's a reason Ron Davis is so popular here.

Reactions: wytwolf

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Nice try. How many of them have been modified whether it be a cam swap or full out stroker? In '96 there was a TSB on all GT's. Guess what was happening straight from Ford? They were overheating. The partial fix; a '97 GT condenser which is a modern design which flows better.

Also; modern E10 fuels raise engine operating temperatures. This is a known fact.

I worked at a high end hotel in Scottsdale in the late 80's to early 90's. Ford, Volvo and GM engineers all stayed there while using vehicle testing grounds throughout the area. I remember just as clear as day; the Fox Mustangs puking coolant in the parking lot of the hotel. The engineers had a semi trailer of parts and were racing to fix the issue along with attempts to swap the AC systems to newer refridgerants. All this before the introduction of oxygenated fuels.

I'll give you another example. My friend has a 1970 Shelby 500 with a 428 Cobra Jet. He has owned the car since '71. It has a period correct restoration and a deluxe Marti Report. He has to retard the timing and keep driving distances to a minimum or the engine will puke coolant. This started with the introduction of ethanol blends. It's no secret here in AZ.

Another example.... Ford sold 60's F100's with a 4 blade mechanical fan. If you lived out west; you often got a Modine Desert Cooler 4 row radiator. If you opted for A/C; your truck received a 5 blade mechanical fan. I challenge you to keep any of these old truck restoration's cool in our summer heat nowadays. We are talking classic trucks and cars with factory equipment.

Just one example:

Just one example:

thanks for the history lesson. thats a lot of information you have and it is appreciated. i know e10 fuel makes your engine run a tad hotter but e85 makes it run much cooler. in the summer i try to stay above e70 here. i was thinking about going to my stock fan setup when the new engine goes in but I think I'll stick to the contour/cold case setup.

can you tell me more about your infinity fan controller? thay sounds really cool
pun intended

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
can you tell me more about your infinity fan controller? thay sounds really cool
pun intended

there’s a thread on the Holley EFI tuningforum about it.

It’s an OEM fan controller that comes on many types of vehicles so they can be had cheaply. There’s actually a variety of PWM controllers that can be used. Not just that one.

The issue that prevents many from using them is that it is not standalone. It’s meant to work with a ECU that can generate a PwM signal. right off the bat that excludes a lot of folks from using them.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts