Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am doing a swap for a friend and we could use some wisdom on his ECU. He is putting a 1989 5.0l from his LX into a 1967 XL 500. His LX was a 5-speed car but we are not using 5 speed in XL we are purchasing a 4R70W and a stand-alone shift computer. His ECU is for a 5-speed car. Would he need to purchase a different ECU since we are going an automatic? I wasn't sure it would matter since we were using a stand-alone trans computer. We are using a painless harness for the car.
The car has a cam, upgraded MAF and intake, headers, and a super chip on it now. Is there a way to delete the Air smog system and EGR on these ECU's?
Any wisdom is much appreciated as this isn't my typical genre to work with.
thanks for taking the time to read.

the current ECU number is E9ZF-12A650-A2A

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
It will not matter at all.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
moates quarterhorse required to tune it properly

A9L2 base tune is your best bet

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry for this, I've wrote a freaking novel and I do apologize but it is important I will take any input to help fix this truck
Does anyone have an idea if this will work.... The more I'm reading... Nah it won't because the 91 F-150 that has a cam headers the famous EGR delete and then they stopped wrapped it up... Graduation present, young kid, some of y'all know what I mean. So I bought it and it keeps frying the ECM, or the ICM, really the coil..... So I found some 2 A9Ls currently I have a 8PU it runs. To me it feels off, rich burning and I want some not oh sht I shat myself lol but some power I know how to re everything if I half to want to convert to MAF instead of MAP SENSOR and the end result of that is that on the back of the A9Ls there's a place that looks to me as if there's a place to put a aftermarket high HP chip but I want to look know if it's possible to change it with minimal pin relocation minimal lol

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
re type that in some kind of coherent language

have no idea what you trying to ask

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it helps,
I have an ‘87 engine and computer from an automatic mustang, in my cobra but with a t5

My dad has the opposite, an automatic transmission and a computer from a manual car in his roadster.

Both cars run fine, the computers don’t seem to know what trans is behind the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
re type that in some kind of coherent language

have no idea what you trying to ask
My apologies I was in a hurry frustrated. The jist of it is that b4 I got the truck. The previous owner gifted the truck to him as a graduation present, the kid as they he did changed his mind and left the truck unfinished. Running just not fully upgraded.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Both cars run fine, the computers don’t seem to know what trans is behind the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 EEC IV is speed density

any maf ECM have inputs for trans types, and it matters

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
My apologies I was in a hurry frustrated. The jist of it is that b4 I got the truck. The previous owner gifted the truck to him as a graduation present, the kid as they he did changed his mind and left the truck unfinished. Running just not fully upgraded.
i suggest you start a NEW thread, and have an interesting title

list what you have, and clearly state your questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man I'm going to be honest..... Not
i suggest you start a NEW thread, and have an interesting title

list what you have, and clearly state your questions.
Sure how yet... In time yes. Till then
It's a manual 91 F-150 2wd 5.0 the trucks have a different style of intake heads headers and O2 sensor, just 1 probably other things. He did now this is for the people who don't know though okay.
This truck has headers aftermarket exhaust supposably and aftermarket cam with a crate engine with an EGR delet, don't think it has a cam not sure sorry. Anyways totally stock the rest of it, oh and not an HO... Standard 5.0.
The question I have is I want to convert this truck ECM to a mustang ECM and I have one but there are some discrepancies and the pinout connector locations obviously one is no two sensor there is only one I'm wanting to add an additional one, HP gains/ fuel mileage gains crossing my fingers if it's possible. Also driving the reasoning behind this is that it would constantly burn up ECM and or the ICM rarely it would finally get the coil redoing the harness changing the computer to what I want and have some games horsepower fuel economy All that jazz will help. Will Dynoing be needed afterwards amongst other things or is it okay let me know thank you I hope this is good for you not being a butt just saying

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suggest looking into a Holley Terminator X Max. I am currently installing one into my 94 vert with a 408 stroker. A very reputable Mustang tuner in my area recommended it. I have a 4R70W, and I needed a system that would control my trans. The kit seems pretty well designed, and the software is pretty easy to navigate.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Man I'm going to be honest..... Not

Sure how yet... In time yes. Till then
It's a manual 91 F-150 2wd 5.0 the trucks have a different style of intake heads headers and O2 sensor, just 1 probably other things. He did now this is for the people who don't know though okay.
This truck has headers aftermarket exhaust supposably and aftermarket cam with a crate engine with an EGR delet, don't think it has a cam not sure sorry. Anyways totally stock the rest of it, oh and not an HO... Standard 5.0.
The question I have is I want to convert this truck ECM to a mustang ECM and I have one but there are some discrepancies and the pinout connector locations obviously one is no two sensor there is only one I'm wanting to add an additional one, HP gains/ fuel mileage gains crossing my fingers if it's possible. Also driving the reasoning behind this is that it would constantly burn up ECM and or the ICM rarely it would finally get the coil redoing the harness changing the computer to what I want and have some games horsepower fuel economy All that jazz will help. Will Dynoing be needed afterwards amongst other things or is it okay let me know thank you I hope this is good for you not being a butt just saying

are you the same person, using a new acct?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would suggest looking into a Holley Terminator X Max. I am currently installing one into my 94 vert with a 408 stroker. A very reputable Mustang tuner in my area recommended it. I have a 4R70W, and I needed a system that would control my trans. The kit seems pretty well designed, and the software is pretty easy to navigate.
Man I thought about it but man it makes my wallet cry lol.... It's like 4000 or something like that.... It's just an old beater that has some mods and some I think are B's... Don't sound like it's got I'm. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it have more HP and torque fuel economy also.... U know the bang for it buck situation.

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
150 Posts
Yes I believe PHILLIP 2626 is the same guy as F150mustang26convert. And he's hijacking MOTORHEADTOM's thread. (rude!)

Dear Mr. PHILLIP2626, if you can't afford the Terminator X Max, then just get the Terminator X. It will do everything you need it to do, and run your transmission I believe, for around $1100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts