Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had my carpet up today cause i was running some wires and to my suprise i found some rust in the rear floor pan on my 88 coupe its not all the way through but i need to know when do i need to be concerned about rewelding the floor pan ???? i have cleaned the rust off with a wire wheel and i plpan on going to get some rust preventive tomorrow its on both passenger and drivers sid in the back where you set your feet if you were riding in the back should i try to get some one to weld some sheet metal in the rear or just leave it alone

p.s i will post pics in a little while thanx for any help

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i seen the pics.....rust does not look bad in the pics............clean all the rust off prim and paint..............but you need new door weather stripping.............i bet the are leaking and the water just sits on the floors and rust

·
Registered
812 Posts
If the metal is still strong then just clean up the area w/ a sandblaster to make sure you clean out the pits, put a coat of filler over it then prime/paint it. Some people even undercoat it after they paint it. Check under the car as well as inside to see if the rust is starting on both sides of it. If the metal is still strong then you are in luck, if its weak then you will need to patch it up or replace the floor depending on the extent of the damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts